thirteen

"Dude's an asshole, man!"
Coop complained.

Sydney laughed, watching the guys at the park play basketball.

"Who?" Kia asked, eating a gummy bear as she eyed one of the players.

"Shawn's boss. He's disrespectful. Dude talks to me like I'm some little girl who can't handle the streets."

"You got yourself involved with a, what, drug lord? Why are you surprised that he hates you?" Sydney asked.

"It's not just me. I've been talking to Shawn about getting out, you know? Starting over; and he's been thinking about it. Even accepted an offer for a job at JP Keating's studio. There is only one person holding him back."

"Well, who is it? Maybe Shawn will get the strength to go against him."

A part of Coop was happy that he was actually changing. That turned to anger as she remembered the earlier conversations at Shawn's place.

"Hey, man, you're not really just gonna walk away from that job with JP, are you? I mean, you can't just give up, not like this."

Shawn chuckled, glancing at Maya as he cracked the eggs.

"That's the problem with you and your boy Spencer. You think life's like some damn fairy tale, like we all got some chance at greatness. But that's not how the world work for the rest of us."

He couldn't lie, a part of him was hopeful but Tyrone was still a major obstacle in his path.

Coop sighed. She wasn't giving up; she was gonna do everything she could to help him out.

It was as though Tyrone could sense her thoughts. Each time she conversed with Shawn about leaving, the dangerous man seemed to pop up just in time.

"We got a problem." Tyrone spoke, glancing at Maya then glaring at Shawn.

"The cops been asking about our boy that got popped at Alvin's; that heat you brought. So, until that clears up, we on lockdown. You feel me?"

"Yeah, I'm feeling you." Shawn almost stuttered.

Tyrone smirked.

"Take care of your baby girl, Shawn."

Once the father and daughter were out of sight, the dangerous man glared at Coop. 

"Remember what I told you. You and Shawn. Y'all better watch your back, because if you ain't riding for me, I'm coming for y'all; you and Shawn. And don't think just because you're friends with Sydney that, that makes you exempt."

"Hold up. Sydney? What does she have to do with this?" Coop questioned.

"That, right there, is none of your business. If she comes running back to me, let's just say there's a special spot for you in the graveyard."

Those words stopped her from telling Sydney. She didn't know what their business was but she didn't doubt Tyrone would follow through on his word if she asked the girl.