four

The book from Sydney's science class hit the ground with a thud as Sydney pushed it off the kitchen table.

Her science project was wrecking her mind. She couldn't figure out what to do and was too afraid to ask for a partner.

She hated some of the looks she got. It didn't help that she'd transferred after the school year had already started.

"You've gotta be kidding me."

Sydney groaned, hearing knocks at the front door. The knocks persisted, meaning no one had answered yet.

Lauren typed away on her computer while Roman filled out some paperwork. Sydney jogged down the stairs, glancing at the occupied adults in the living room before opening the door to reveal a tall, chocolate man.

"Hi."

He stared at her, keeping quiet. Her beauty amazed him, she looked so much like her mother. He stood in disbelief for a second.

"Is everything okay?" She questioned.

He snapped out of it, nodding.

"Yeah, I just needed a ride home, that's all."

Sydney looked at him, skeptical. Her parents were still glued to their activities, not paying attention to the stranger.

"I can see you're hesitant so I'll try to find someone else." He quickly backed off, not wanting to scare her.

"No, it's fine. I can take you."

She rushed up the stairs, seeing this as her opportunity to get out of the house. Sydney tucked her knife in her pocket and put her shoes on. The parents ignored the jingling of their daughter's car keys as she left.

The man slyly stared at the girl in the driver's seat, giving her directions. She pulled up to a nice, simple house near Crenshaw.

"Nice place.." She complimented.

He smiled.

"Thanks. You can come in if you'd like."

She stared at him, contemplating before finally declining.

"That's cool, I understand. Thank you for the ride, though."

"You're welcome. I didn't get your name.." She smiled.

He leaned into the car, smirking.

"I'm Tyrone."

"Nice to meet you, Tyrone. I'm Sydney."

"Yes, you are." He said before walking off and into the house.

She smiled to herself, driving away. Spencer didn't get out of practice until later so she figured she'd kill some time.

The locks to her doors sounded as she walked into Alvin's shop. Instead of seeing the smile on his face, he simply frowned at her.

She knew he was upset. They were overdue for their picnic date by a month. Her sudden relocation had interrupted their plan.