forty seven

"Hey, you okay?"

Spencer glanced to Sydney then back to the papers in his hand.

"The eight years he was gone... Corey wrote birthday letters to me and Dillon."

"Wow. What do they say?" She inquired, sitting next to him.

"I don't know. I don't know if I want to read 'em. It's like finding a piece of him, and Corey had a lot of different sides. I just don't know which one of him is in this box."

Sydney looked across the cabin to the chair that Corey died in. She glanced outside, seeing the group of friends laughing and playing together.

"Maybe Corey didn't mail those letters for a reason."

"You saying I shouldn't read 'em?"

"It's your choice, but you also don't have to make it right now. I mean, those letters aren't going anywhere. And we can talk if you want."

Spencer nodded as Sydney went outside with the others to give him privacy.

His eyes skimmed over the paper before starting at the beginning:

Spencer, happy birthday, son. Our first one apart. Just one more thing to thank your mother for. Some advice: Don't go sacrificing your dreams for nobody. I could have made a comeback after the cancer. My NFL dream didn't have to die, but instead, I focused on life with your mother, and she threw it away. All right, so I was gone a lot. I had to provide for our family, the family your mother betrayed, with Billy, no less. Billy! Keep an eye on your friends, Spencer. Those bonds ain't real.

His mind flashed to Coop then the other failed friendships. Once finished, he moved to a new letter.

It's taken me a minute, but I found my... joy. Yeah, that's the word for it. I've been dating someone who taught me how to love again. She's got a son, too. Darnell. That boy is a firecracker. Reminds me so much of you, but still, they aren't home, not the way our family was. I miss our crazy game night. Your mama was a master rule-twister. Heh! Win by any means. Remember that time we tried to convince her that you didn't need bath time 'cause our mega water fight got you clean? I think we both got a timeout. I wish I'd slowed down enough to really be present and cherish those times. Take it from me. Embrace every moment, Spencer. Celebrate every night like it's a James family game night.

"Game night.." Spence whispered to himself.

The others quickly agreed, gathering around the campfire. The night sky shined while they chatted.

"Hey, party people. It's time to turn up for real." Vanessa said, holding up liquor bottles.

"Oh, we're not drinking this weekend." Spencer stated, glancing to Olivia.

"Oh, no, don't stay sober 'cause of me." Liv said. 

"Um, I'm so sorry, Liv. I completely forgot you don't drink." Vanessa apologized.

"It's all good. I mean, it's not something I'd expect you to know, so.."

Liv fought the urge to roll her eyes. First, Vanessa invades her boyfriend; Liv couldn't even begin to understand why she was there. 

"No liquor. How 'bout a different game... Never have I ever?"

"Jalapeno-infused pickle juice. A burn you'll never forget." JJ grinned, pulling a jar from his bag.

"All right. You know the rules. Drink if you've done it. Here we go."

"You playing?" Spencer whispered to Sydney.

She shook her head.

"Um... never have I ever said, "I love you" just to get someone to hook up with me... Ha! Oh, my God. That was such a setup. And you all failed, except for Spencer." Vanessa said.

"Never have I ever walked in on my parents doing it. Asher!" Jordan taunted.

Asher laughed, drinking the juice.

"R.V. trip, '08. I don't want to talk about it. I don't. I was scarred for life."

"Okay. Never have I ever bought a pair of $300 shoes in Vegas. No cheating. Drink up, Liv." Simone told her.

"Never have I ever run... naked through a football field." Asher said, taking his chance to get Jordan back.

"Jordan! Naked? Really?"

"Freshman year. The varsity players stole our clothes when we were in the shower, thanks to Ash acting like he owned the place during tryouts."

"Oh, confidence, thank you very much." Asher bragged.

"Confidence! Okay. Whatever you want to call it, your dumb ass stays getting us in trouble." Jordan joked, laughing with the others.

"Wow. Never have I ever crapped all over folks that were supposed to be my friends." Vanessa got serious, not finding their jokes funny.

"Vanessa, it's.."

"Yo, it's just jokes." JJ defended.

Olivia scoffed, not believing she had the nerve.

"Never have I ever spent the summer getting to know somebody else's boyfriend a little too much."

"Liv! Dude, what the hell?" Asher exclaimed.

"Yo, Ash. Just relax. Let's just play the game." Jordan said, trying to keep the peace.

"You want to play? Fine. Never have I ever cheated a concussion protocol to play in a game."

"What is he talking about?" Simone questioned Jordan.

"You cheated your concussion protocol? How could you not tell me something like that?"

"What, like you didn't tell me about Princeton?" Jordan spat.

"Wow. That is not the same!" She scoffed, walking off.

"It is exactly the same, Simone! Could you wait? Hey, give me a second!"