nine

"Hi."
Sydney said, hugging Spencer.

The Baker home was filled with guests, decorations, waiters.. Spencer sighed, not too fond of the setting.

What was supposed to be a small gathering turned into a birthday party with food trucks and waiters. Coop annoyed the woman at the door, not leaving until she responded.

"So that's all you do? Open and close the door all day?"

The woman ignored the teen, staring ahead. Coop walked away, soon coming back with a chair.

"Sit down."

The woman ignored the chair.

"Ain't nobody using it.. Go ahead. What, you gone get in trouble or something? They can't fire you for sitting down, can they?"

"Coop!" Sydney called, holding back her laughter..

"What? I'm just talking to her."

Finally pulling her away, they found Spencer on the couch. Sydney sat across from him, her mind flashing to the pool party's events.

They lost track of time as they mingled, enjoying themselves. Her head snapped toward the living room area, spotting Billy and his father, Willie.

"So I guess family isn't always welcome!" Willie shouted.

"It's a private party." Billy dismissed.

"Yo, why you kicking him out?" Spencer asked, approaching the two.

"Spencer, stay out of this." Grace said, not wanting the situation to escalate.

"You ain't seen your dad in years, now here he is, making an effort." Spence continued.

"You don't know our history, son."

"Let's be straight here, coach. Is it his history I don't know about or the one you got with my mom?"

Spencer stepped closer to Billy, angry. Grace and Billy looked at each other before Grace stepped in.

"That was a long time ago."

"So why you ain't tell me?!" He snapped.

"I didn't want you to know it was my idea, you transferring to Beverly. I thought if you knew Billy and I had a past together, you-"

"So you lied to me? And you.." He turned to Billy.

"You told me not to go see my dad, that's because he'd have told me about you and my mom, right? That he was gone tell me the truth, right?"

No one said anything as Spencer looked around.

"Why don't nobody looked surprised?"

Their faces slightly changed, telling Spence everything he needed to know.

"I'm out."

"Where are you going?" Grace asked.

"Dad may have left but at least he never lied to me like this. I got tickets to a football game." he scoffed, walking off.