fifty four

"I want to see the video." Sydney said, closing the door to her father's home office.

"What video?" He inquired, looking away from his computer to her.

"Of mom. Savannah said you had it, that you got it shortly after she died. What is she talking about?"

Roman shook his head, remembering Savannah was breastfeeding at the moment so they would have to talk later.

"Baby."

"No, I don't wanna hear that. Show me the video. You were just preaching about us talking and being closer. What the hell?"

"Why would you want to see something like that? It's traumatizing, and this is your mom, kid! Use your brain please. You don't really want to see this."

"Yeah, I do."

"What good will it do? As harsh as it is, it won't bring her back. This is just gonna cause more negative feelings towards her and you don't want that."

"You don't know what I want, dad. This isn't some therapy session for a quick fix it all. And you denying me that video should be.. a crime." Sydney complained, rolling her eyes.

"You want nightmares about this stuff? 'Cause that's what this will give you."

"Is that what it gave you?"

"Yeah, I'll admit it. Once I saw it, I couldn't get it out of my head. No matter where I was, it popped up and lingered... I don't want that for you."

"Maybe I want that for myself. What, you don't think I can handle it? After everything we've been through-"

"Stop throwing that out there. We both know what we've been through, and I'm not trying to discredit you... But baby, this isn't just some random video, once it's with you, it's with you."

"Show it to me."

Roman sighed, his eyes scanning Sydney's face before clicking on the file he'd tried to hide.

Within seconds of the video ending, the infant's cries were heard outside the door.

"Hey, Rome, can you take her really quick? I need to take a shower."

"I'm a little busy right now. Can't you use that thing you got?"

"Don't bother, take care of your kid." Sydney said then left.

"Syd!" Roman shouted after her, sighing when the child wailed louder.

Sydney, frustrated with the overwhelming noise, grabbed her keys and left. She didn't know where she was going but she had to leave.

Her destination ended at the Slauson Cafe in hopes caffeine would make her hyperactive and distracted.

As she entered the cafe, her phone rang with a facetime call from Kia.

"Hey. Where are you?"

"Slauson. What's up?"