003. partners

𓆩♡𓆪

"You're partners with Heeseung?!" Chaeyoung shrieks as she drops her chopsticks onto the lunch table and stares at her best friend in front of her wide-eyed.

"Shh, you're so loud!" Haewon quickly places a finger on her lips to shut her up. "Yes Chae, unfortunately, we are. The partners were assigned by Mr. Choi." She slouches down in her chair.

"Don't tell me you're actually going to do it?"

Haewon shrugs, to which Chaeyoung shakes her head vigorously.

"No. You're not gonna work with him. Ask Mr. Choi if you could change partners, or just work alone at this point."

"I tried. Mr. Choi said if both of us agreed, he might be able to work something out."

"And?"

"And...that absolute jerk said, and I quote, I'm ecstatic." Haewon scoffs.

"Who the fuck does he think he is? The next time I see him I swear to fucking god i'm going to fucking bury him alive." Chaeyoung grits with her arms crossed.

"Enough profanity, I just need to get out of this. There's no way i'll be able to work with him. Why does he always go out of his way to bother me, knowing he'll get nothing good out of it?"

"He's obsessed with you, Hae. Maybe he's in love with you." Chaeyoung jokes and plops a grape into her mouth.

"I'm serious!" Haewon whines. "I should just do all the work and get it over with. That way we won't have to do it together or meet up and whatnot. Win-win for everyone."

"Yeah, no. Based off the whole "I'm ecstatic" thing, I don't think he'll let you off that easily."

"He doesn't have a choice."

Haewon glares a few tables behind Chaeyoung, where Heeseung and his group of popular kids sit. Heeseung catches her staring and tilts his head slightly while giving her a fake smile. He waves mockingly at her, to which Haewon returns with the middle finger and a smirk plastered on her face.

———————

The final school bell rings and students pack up their belongings and rush out the door. Haewon slings her bag over her shoulder. She walks out of the classroom and pulls out her phone to call Chaeyoung. Just before she could press the call button, her phone dings.

———
iMessage
chae<3

Son Chaeyoung | 4:28 pm
lol cant go home with u today sorry

4:28 pm | Kang Haewon
🖕
read 4:28pm

———

Great, just great. She thinks to herself as she shuts off her phone and slips it into her pocket. As she makes her way to outside, she stops at the last bit of covered area once she takes a look outside. It's raining. Hard. And Haewon doesn't even have an umbrella, nor a raincoat, nor a hoodie. Why? Just why? What am I supposed to do now? Just stand here till the rain stops (which could be hours)? Nah, i'll just make a run for the nearest bus stop.