Piers' words did not allow room for a retort. Gasps were heard throughout the ballroom, and Oliver caught his parents fuming with anger. The prince's words were distasteful and rude, basically stating that he respected the Kardoses but not Oliver. He did not find him worthy of respect or the throne.

However, Oliver had heard this speech before, and his heart was prepared for it. He kept his head bowed and his voice steady. "We have accompanied each other for ten years as betrothed, so thank you for always keeping my family in your heart."

Piers was surprised by this reaction, not expecting a calm response. Oliver flustered him, so he could only reach out a hand to help Oliver up. However, Oliver did not take it. Instead, he reached inside his pocket and took out the ring that Piers presented him many years ago. 

Oliver placed the ring in Piers' extended hand. "I will return what was once given."

Piers froze as he looked at the ring. This was not going as he anticipated. His eyes scanned the ballroom and found many people with the same reaction. 

However, many eyes were softening as they looked upon the pitiful back of the abandoned Oliver, especially the military men who were just conversing with him. They realized they liked the young man and were starting to accept that he would sit on the throne. However, that was stripped away from him without warning, yet Oliver handled it gracefully.

Piers believed it was another ploy from Oliver to win him back.

He snatched his hand back. "As long as you understand. From now on, we have no relationship."

Oliver stood up gracefully. "I understand." He noticed the strange gazes and sighed inwardly. "I seemed to have dampened the mood of your celebration. I will excuse myself first so you can continue your festivities."

He gave a short bow to the prince and walked away, leaving the ballroom and the baffled crowd behind him. 

Conrad quickly reached him and grabbed his arm. "Oli? Are you ok?"

Oliver smiled. "I am. But it would be best if you stayed here with the others. Keep father calm, and I'll head home first."

Conrad hesitated but eventually nodded and let him go.

Oliver walked out of the palace; his back seemed forlorn yet proud. He was publicly rejected and humiliated—a long-term engagement was broken in front of the high society. However, Oliver just accepted it with a smile.

He differed from public perception; many found their hearts aching for him.

Oliver didn't care about the others' opinions. He wanted a new life, and it started with letting go of the bastard who had destroyed him before. The choice was easy.

He made his way through the gardens. He hadn't been in this area for a couple of decades, but his feet still knew the way. He found himself at his favorite fountain, hidden amid the tall roses.

The fountain was a plain stone circular, but a meticulously carved angel stood in the center. The angel looked down affectionately with her wings slightly extended, making her look ethereal and forgiving.

He sat down on the fountain's edge with her looking down at him. He slipped off his jacket and skimmed his fingers through the cold and clear water. He felt the water chill his hands, making him chuckle. He succeeded in altering a pivotal point in his history.

Sometimes he had to remind himself that he wasn't dreaming. The Anima Wish still didn't seem real.

He lay down on the fountain's edge with a long breath and looked up toward the heavens. The sky was calm and void of the smoke and screams that had plagued him for years. It gave him the peace he needed to settle his emotions. He had finally confronted the man who had taken everything away from him. He wanted to kill him when he first saw him but held back.