The Descent

KARTHIK'S POV

It was as if the ability to process things has left my brain. I couldn't believe what I just heard. My mom had caused Aarti's miscarriage. My breath hitched.

Jiya's voice tuned out and Aarti's moans of pain filled my ears. Her tear-filled eyes, devastated face, her crawling on the floor because she couldn't walk. Anger rose inside me like a tide. Just as when I heard a car pull into our driveway. I glanced at our clock, 2.45 am. My mommy and Stepdaddy were coming back from their date. Or should I say the murderer of my child and Aarti's father?

I made sure Aarti was asleep before descending the steps. I sat at the bottom one, waiting for them to enter. The room filled with giggles as the front door opened. My mom's million-dollar smile stuck on her face. The grin of a culprit who just completed her crime successfully.

When I turned the lights on I heard their audible gasp. "Karthik, why are you still up?" Vikram uncle asked.

"I don't know, uncle. Why don't you ask your wife?"

"What?" Mom was sweating. she knows I found out.

"What did you do mom?" my voice quaked "What did you do to aarti?"

"Aarti? Why? What happened?" Uncle piped up.

"Your wife tried to murder her,"

"What??" Both of them shout at the same time.

"I did not try to-, What the hell are you saying Karthik?" Mom yelled.

"Then explain why she's not moving right now? Why is she covered in blood? Explain it!!" I have to make her say it from her mouth.

Mom scoffs "Vikram, I don't know what he is talking about." She started defending herself.

"Aarti.." Uncle started moving towards the stairs.

"No!" Mom yelled. "You are not going anywhere. She is fine. I didn't try to kill her. shell wake up in the morning as nothing happened."

"You bitch! What did you do to my child?" Uncle yelled.

"I didn't do anything to your child. I killed her child." She states "I gave her an abortion pill, Your girl is whore, who got knocked up. I protected this house's honor."

Her words rang through my body. she doesn't know, She doesn't know that it is my baby. My hands bunched into fists.

"I don't think I did anything wrong.

"What nonsense are you talking about? My daughter will never-"

"Oh then by all means. Go check. All that blood you say Karthik, that is the impurity washing off of her."

"What the hell did you say about my daughter?"

"Just the truth Vikram. Who knows who the father is, I doubt even she knows. That kid has always been around boys-"

"SHUT UP!!!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "She is not a whore! She is sure of who the father is, It's me! I'm the father. You just killed my and Aarti's baby"

The room was dead silent for a few seconds. Then a punch landed in my face. It was Vikram uncle. I tried to hold him off for a while, but his punches got harder. I fought back. He has no right to play the righteous father now when he was blind about what his daughter wanted.

"Karthik! How dare you hit your father? And you and Aarti? she's your sister-"

"She's not my sister! How many times have I said that? Aarti is the woman I love. It always has been and it always will be" The two of them froze "Yeah mom, We were in love. Did you even notice that? Your children were in love. And yet you decided to make them step-siblings."