I see red

To say that i slept that night would be an absolute lie. Karthik and his words were playing in a loop in my head.

"Im sorry kitty"

What did he apologise for? For stealing or something else?

I had a feeling it was the latter.

After giving up an attempt to sleep i rose from the bed when my clock showed 5.40 am. I put on my shoes and went out for a jog.

Even while sweating and my heart racing at god knows how many times per minute everytime i passed by his house i would think about last night.

I eventually gave up at the 54th round around our residential circle and came back home.

Dad was already up and had made my special brew of coffee. I loved coffeee but it was like a guilty pleasure for me. I always try to lessen the use of coffee so i use a special lighter version of cofee which apparently no one likes.

"Thanks pops" i took my cup and plopped down on the couch.

His back was towards me " i have no idea how you drink that stuff. Its pure evil and tastes like dev... How many times have i told you to not sit on the couch drenched in sweat." He yelled

"Oh comeon" i stood up from the couch and sat on the chair nearby.

"What is with you and sweat. Im your daughter. Your flesh and blood. You shouldn't be disgusted of me" i said dramatically.

Dad sighed "im not disgusted of you.. daughter.. im disgusted of the stench you leave in the couch."

I stuck my tongue out at him and went back to my coffee.

I took my phone out of my pocket and started scrolling through Instagram. Not of makeup, lots of boobs and thighs and lots of couples later i stopped on a post.

It was clint. He wasnt from our area. But he used to study with karthik in highschool. Backthen we were really close. But as i stopped talking to karthik i stopped talking to clint as well. But talking is not a necessity to be following in social media is it?

He had posted a video. He was at a party i guess. The whole background was filled with people holding red plastic cups and swaying to the music. I bet that room smelled of sweat, smoke and sex. Thats how jiya defines it.

But the reason why my fingers stopped in that post was bcoz of the person behind clint. It was karthik smoking something and drinking from the cup. He had his arms around some girl in a crop top and shorts.

That did bother me but what bothered me even more is when clint asked for a puff from him and took the smoke from his hands and put them to his lips. Thats when i got the clear view of it.

It wasn't a cigarette. It was a joint.
Karthik was smoking weed.

Oohh myy godd!! That explains everything. Thats why he needed money. And why he stole it from me.

He couldn't exactly ask his mother for weed money now can he?

As if answering my question a commotion arose from next door.

Karthik was fighting with his mom. Again.

"Seriously? Its like the 3rd time this week." Dad exclaimed from the kitchen.

The fighting had become a routine for them now. I always wondered why was he so angry all the time. Now i have an answer.

"Let the door open." Dad said. Dad knew he would be running in.

As if on clockwork krishna ran in through the drive way into my arms.

Krishna was karthiks 7 year old brother. He had the same eyes as his brother's , as their dad's. Krishna was 3 when the divorce happened.