Chapter 29. The truth

Nathan's P.O.V

I had never thought that I would meet my brother Damian again. I couldn't believe that he had recognized me. I did kind of look like my grandfather. My brother had never treated me well. I wasn't interested in meeting someone who never talked to me. Xander went quiet when Caleb walked into my room. He sighed after a while, then said, "Your parents need to explain some things to you, Nathan. I would like you to know that I was against the idea of keeping things hidden from you. I hope to see you tomorrow. I love you. Bye." I frowned when Xander cut off the call.

I gazed at Caleb and asked him, "Do you need to tell me something, dad?" Caleb rubbed his face in frustration, then said, "Tell me about what happened first. How in the world did you meet your brother?" I got out of bed and told Caleb about the incident. Caleb walked out of my room, then returned with some files and Dahlia. Dahlia stroked my head and stated, "We would like you to know that we hid this from you because we wanted to protect you." Caleb handed me the files, then declared, "We know you, son. You were an angry man back then. You would try to give everything back to your biological parents if you found out what your grandparents had left you."

I sat on my bed, then went through the files. Caleb and Dahlia joined me. My body started shaking when I read how much money and properties my grandparents had gifted me. Caleb rubbed my back, then uttered, "Your mother and I made sure that all the properties were well maintained. We were going to tell you about them when you reached thirty." I put my head down and asked Caleb, "When did you two come across my biological parents, dad?" My heart almost jumped out of my chest when Dahlia stated, "We didn't meet them, son. It was Xander who confronted them about seeking you for their gain. Mary and Steven wanted to manipulate you into signing everything over to them."

I put the files on the bed, then asked Dahlia, "When did all this transpire, mom?" Dahlia grabbed my hand and stated, "It was the day before Xander left for Spain, Nathan. He begged us to tell you about your grandparent's will. You were already heartbroken, so we decided to wait." I clenched my fists, then uttered, "You mean to tell me that I treated Xander like crap while he was working hard to keep me safe? I'm such a jerk. I used what happed between us all those years ago as an excuse to hurt him." Dahlia threw her arm around me and said, "You couldn't help it, Nathan. He ruined your life. Xander's feelings for you are genuine, my son. He knew that you needed time to recover. So he distanced himself from you. We kept in contact with Xander because of these reasons. I hope that Xander can stop your biological mother from approaching you. I wouldn't know what to do if she hurt you."

I took a deep breath, then declared, "I want to deal with my parents myself this time. It's about time I got rid of them once and for all. You two were right, by the way. I would have done everything to give the money and properties back to Steven and Mary. I never wanted to go back to that godforsaken place. My grandparent's worked hard to set up their business. Their belongings deserve respect. My parents will never get their hands on them. Did Xander deal with Lucas Miles as well, dad?" Caleb nodded, then stated, "Yeah, Lucas tried to exploit you. He also threatened to write an article about Xander. Xander put him in his place. He's still hiding in Hawaii." I shook my head and declared, "I need to apologize to Xander. I should have never doubted his feelings for me." Dahlia smiled, then remarked, "The separation made you both grow, son. So don't blame yourself for what happened." I hugged Dahlia, then stated, "Thank you, mom. I feel a lot better now."

Caleb patted my back and said, "Get some sleep, son. You and Xander will get plenty of chances to make up." I handed the files back to Caleb, then uttered, "Can you keep them safe for me, dad? I'll ask for them back once I figure out what to do with the money." Caleb stroked my head and stated, "Of course, Nathan. Take as much time as you need to work out things. We will keep the files safe." Dahlia pinched my cheek and uttered, "Thank you for not blaming us for hiding things from you, Nathan. We got worried when we heard that your family was looking for you." I grabbed Dahlia's hand, then declared, "You and dad molded me into the person I am today, mom. I would never doubt your intentions." Dahlia hugged me tightly and yelled, "I love you so much, Nathan!" I chuckled, then responded to Dahlia, "I love you too, mom."