Chapter 15. Separation Part 2

Xander's P.O.V.

I started feeling anxious the moment I arrived in Spain. It was like something terrible was about to happen to Nathan. I couldn't call Nathan to inquire about his health. My grandmother's health had deteriorated, and I needed to be beside her. My mother talked to Dahlia every day. Dahlia gave my mother the latest updates on her family. I was glad that Nathan was safe. After two weeks, I finally got a chance to call Nathan. My whole body relaxed when I heard Nathan's voice. I had missed Nathan so much. Nathan was at the vet with Jax's. So we couldn't talk for long. My grandmother was finally doing better. I promised Nathan that I would contact him more often.

I managed all my businesses from Spain. I loved my grandmother too much to leave her alone in her time of need. I was on my way to meet a professional caretaker when Martin contacted me. I had asked him to look into a few things for me. Martin greeted me, then uttered, "I just learned something, sir." I sighed, then said to my bodyguard, "Just say it, Martin." Martin took a deep breath, then asked me, "Do you remember Lucas Miles, sir?" I frowned when I heard that money-hungry bastard's name. I huffed, then uttered, "How can I forget the idiot that tried to blackmail me, Martin?"

Martin chuckled, then stated, "Lucas Miles is after Nathan Dalton this time, sir. He's planning to post an article about Nathan Dalton's origin in the Daily Mail. We were lucky that Lucas asked one of our people to edit the article. The report is about improving your life and health. Lucas is using Nathan as an example. He probably wants to mock him. I was shocked when I saw that he had collected old pictures of Nathan to prove his point. It seems like Lucas is a very vengeful person. He won't rest until he has punished Nathan for not helping him." I immediately asked Martin, "Do you have the photos, Martin?" Martin responded to me with, "Of course, sir. I'm sending them to you now."

I quickly checked the pictures that Martin had sent me. I had already seen most of the photos in magazines. I sighed while examining the most damning one. Nathan was standing with Carter and his friends in the garden of the detention center in the picture. Nathan was the biggest one of them all. The boys were all in blue jumpsuits. They were smiling at the camera. I groaned when I noticed the detention center's emblem on their chests. That meant that Lucas already knew the truth about Nathan. I had to do something before he found out that Nathan's parents were looking for him.

I called Martin and asked him to set up a meeting with Lucas Miles. I was going to take care of him once and for all. I didn't want to keep Nathan in the dark. I called him after my meeting to notify him about my visit to the U.S. I got sad when Nathan didn't respond enthusiastically. "Isn't he excited to see me?" I asked myself in despair. I explained everything to my parents when I got home. A tear rolled down my cheek when my parents asked me to have a heartfelt conversation with my grandmother before I left. My grandmother was busy discussing something with her caretaker Mariana when I walked into her room. The woman left us alone. My grandmother smiled, then asked me, "Are you leaving, Xander?" I grabbed my grandmother's hand, then responded to her with, "Yes, grandma, but I'll be back in a few days."

My grandmother grinned at me, then uttered, "You are too young to hang out with a dying old woman, Xander. Go home and have fun. I'll die in peace. I promise." I kissed my grandmother's forehead, then asked her, "Have you forgotten about the deal we made, grandma? Just hang on a little longer. You will get a chance to meet your great-grandchild soon." My grandmother laughed, then stated, "You take things too seriously, Xander. I was joking around. It's not a problem if I don't get to meet the Oswald empire's heir, my child. Seeing what a great man you have become is enough for me." I hugged my grandmother then helped her sleep.

I left for the airport in the afternoon. My private jet was fueled and ready for departure. I arrived early in the morning in the U.S. I took a shower then went to bed. Martin woke me up in the afternoon. He didn't want me to miss my meeting with Lucas Miles. I had a light meal then got dressed. I had asked Lucas to meet me at a hotel. Martin had already booked a room. We just needed to grab the room's key card from the front desk when we arrived. Martin led me to the room then poured me a drink.