Chapter 11. Realization

Xander's P.O.V

Krista Dalton

Krista Dalton. She is almost six years old.

My parents were looking forward to meeting Nathan. They wanted to see how he was doing. My mother and father had intended to visit me on my birthday. They had to cancel their trip when my grandmother got sick. The woman was old and didn't have the energy to travel anymore. I felt a lot better after discussing matters with Nathan. I had never expected Nathan to welcome me with open arms. I had ruined Nathan's life and deserved to get punished for it. Anyone would be bitter about going to jail for something they didn't do. It hurt when Nathan ignored me. I tried not to show it. Nathan and I got busy with work after our chat.

It was almost the end of the year. I was in the middle of inspecting my companies. I wanted to finish the task before the end of the month. I liked to call Nathan when I was free. Nathan never answered my calls. He called me every night before going to bed. We were too tired to speak by then. It was the twenty-first of December, and I was on my way to meet Jessica. She had followed Dahlia's instructions to a tee. She found a little shop that only sold sugar-free foods. Jessica wanted me to taste test some of the delicacies before hiring the chef. It was almost closing time, so the shop was empty.

My driver parked the car right in front of the building. Martin opened the door, then uttered, "I'll accompany you, Xander." I nodded, then walked into the establishment. I heard something fall the moment Martin closed the door behind him. Jessica approached me, then said, "Welcome, sir. May I take your coat? And would you like to drink something?" I took off my coat, then handed it to Jessica. I took a seat at the counter, then responded to Jessica with, "I would like a cup of coffee, please." Jessica nodded at me, then addressed Martin. I was just about to grab my phone when I heard someone say, "He's a potential client, Adam. Forget everything and go greet him."

I decided to check who this guy called Adam was. I recognized the gorgeous guy standing behind the register immediately. Adam had been modeling since he was a kid. He had participated in many of my father's successful ad campaigns. We used to play together whenever I visited the shooting sets. I lost contact with Adam after I left for college. My father told me later that Adam had retired due to health issues. He was only seventeen years old when he abandoned the modeling world. Adam smiled at me, then greeted me with, "Hi Xander." I laughed while reaching my hand out to Adam. It was good to see an old friend.

Adam shook my hand, then stated, "I never expected to meet you like this, Xander. I was so shocked to see you that I dropped a plate." I chuckled, then responded to Adam with, "Me neither, Adam. I thought that I would see you on a billboard somewhere." Adam chuckled, then uttered, "My modeling days are over, Xander. All that traveling took a toll on me. I couldn't even answer the essential questions in class. Kids started calling me "Dumb Adam." I quickly realized that modeling wasn't what I wanted to do in life. I went to a culinary institute and earned a Master's in culinary arts. I set up this shop after honing my skills in Japan."