Chapter 24. The beginning of something .... Part 2

Xander's P.O.V

I had planned to discuss matters regarding our relationship with Nathan before going to bed. I had enjoyed my day with him. I was looking forward to doing more things with Nathan. I thought it would be better to tell him how much I still loved him before it got late. Nathan was fast asleep when I returned from my shower. He looked comfortable in my bed. Jax huffed when I stroked Nathan's head. I patted the dog's head, then said to him, "Don't worry, Jax. I won't wake up your master." Jax watched me closely. I got dressed and then laid down next to Nathan. I kissed Nathan's cheek, then stated, "Good night, Nathan." I was surprised when Nathan opened his eyes.

Nathan looked in a daze around. He sighed and asked me, "Why did you kiss me, Xander?" I didn't want to disturb Nathan any further. I only told him what was significant. I didn't mind that Nathan didn't reply to me when I confessed to him. He was too sleepy to speak anyway. I slept like a baby that night. Nathan was gone by the time I woke up. I asked myself why he had left so early. I stepped on a pen when I got out of bed. I had placed the ball pen in the drawer of my dresser. I immediately realized what had happened. I quickly walked to my dresser to check things. Nathan had put the photo album containing photos of Carson and me upside down in the drawer. I could see why he had left in a hurry. I clutched my hair in frustration. I should have put the thing in my storage room ages ago. I needed to talk to Nathan as quickly as possible, but I had a busy schedule that day. I dialed Nathan's number hoping that he would pick up. I sighed in relief when I heard Nathan say, "Good morning, Xander. Sorry for leaving without notifying you. I had an appointment with Mr. Brim at seven am and couldn't afford to be late."

I knew Mr. Brim well. He owned an auto parts scrapyard. I wondered why Nathan was acting as if nothing had happened. I gazed at my watch, then asked Nathan, "Are you currently working on a new project, Nathan?" Nathan chuckled and answered me with, "No, Xander. I don't have time to do anything besides training Momo for now. It's an auto part that my father needed. He is planning to donate it to an automotive mechanic school." Someone suddenly called out to Nathan. Nathan sighed, then stated, "I have to go now, Xander. See you soon. Bye." Nathan was acting too cheerful for my liking. I wondered if he had already decided to reject me due to the photos. Nathan cut off the line before I could reply to him. It was already eight am. I couldn't afford to dawdle any longer. I took a shower, then got ready for work.

I was going to visit Nathan at work in the afternoon. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I saw him. I hoped that he wouldn't find me intrusive. Elijah was training Momo when I went to check on him. I couldn't help but tickle my child's tummy when he reprimanded Momo. I kissed Elijah's head, then said to him, "Give Momo some time to learn the commands, Elijah. She will get bored if you don't stop conditioning her." Elijah stroked Momo's head, then uttered, "I'm sorry, Momo. I won't bother you in the mornings anymore. But keep in mind that I won't let you do whatever you want in the afternoon." Momo yipped happily. I picked up Elijah, then threw him in the air. Elijah giggled when I yelled, "You are such a strict master, Elijah!"

I had breakfast with my son, then went to work. I had a meeting with one of my associates at Nathan's favorite restaurant. The meeting ended early. I decided to buy some food for Nathan before visiting him. I suddenly caught someone saying, "Go ahead. He is sitting right in front of you. You might never get a chance like this again. Who knows? Maybe you will end up winning his heart and marrying him." Martin was aware of the conversation. He immediately went on alert. Kevin asked the owner to hurry up with my order, then joined me. I checked my emails to kill time. I groaned when I heard a girl say, "Good afternoon, Mr. Oswald. I'm Melissa Peyton. I'm twenty-two years old and work as a waitress here. I graduated from the Haas school of business a year ago. I applied to your company for a job. I, unfortunately, haven't received a reply yet. I never imagined meeting you here, sir. I would love to talk to you about why I want to work at your company."