Chapter Forty-Two - Controlled Emotions

HE DID THE MOST TERRIBLE THING he could do out of love for his mother—to ruin someone undeserving of it.

He never knew that he will love her more than his own mother, more than anyone else, and now he had to pay the price for ruining her.

The pain he experienced while watching his mother turn into a different person—someone superficial and scheming—is happening again.

Tatlong linggo na ang nakalilipas mula nang mag-almusal sina Stacey at Renante kasama ang kanyang mga magulang. Umuwi sila noon sa iisang bahay pero ramdam na ramdam niya na mayroong nagbago.

Stacey would greet him good morning, and say good night. Stacey would kiss his lips gently but would not go deeper like she mostly did. Stacey would prepare their breakfast some times or ask how his day went, but her voice lacked enthusiasm.

Renante did not question all these. He did not confront her. Alam naman niya kasi kung bakit ganito ang naging pakikitungo ng nobya sa kanya. And if Stacey needed time and space to heal then, he would provide that to her. He would always stay by her side, but not confront her about her actions.

It had been like that for weeks and on the surface, the seemed fine.

Renante was in the middle of a phone call when Stacey peeked from behind the door of his office room. They exchanged knowing glances.

His eyes said 'Let me just finish this call, please take a seat.'

And Stacey's eyes replied, 'Okay. I'll walk in and take a seat. But please, hurry.'

Minadali nga ni Renante ang pakikipag-usap sa telepono habang pinapanood ang pag-upo ni Stacey sa isa sa mga visitor's chair.

Pagkababa niya sa cordless phone, tumuwid siya ng upo at itinuon ang buong atensiyon sa babae.

"Hi." He smiled at her but it has a tinge of uncertainty in it. Dahil sa malamig na pakikitungo sa kanya ni Stacey nitong nakaraang mga linggo, hindi malaman ni Renante kung paano ito pakikitunguhan.

"I just dropped by to let you know that I'm going to Gallardo's," pormal nitong paalam.

How could she look straight into my eyes as if I do not make her heart go frantic?

Mula sa pagkalungkot ay biglang nagsalubong ang kanyang mga kilay.

What did she say? Gallardo's?

"Gallardo's? Again?" he muttered lowly.

"Of course. Where else," patay-malisyang sagot ni Stacey sa kanya habang maayos na kinakandong sa kandungan nito ang maliit na shoulder bag na may pagkahaba-habang pinong chain strap.

Napapadalas na ang pakikipagkita niya sa Pierre na 'yon, ah?

Lalong umasim ang kanyang mukha. Hindi niya gusto ang nararamdaman niya sa kasalukuyang nangyayari. He knew it was unreasonable to feel jealous, but he could not help feeling it.

Lalo na nang pinasadahan niya ng tingin si Stacey. She looked so gorgeous in her loose crimson trousers, shiny beige heels, and deep white V-neck tube crop top. A complete set of make up touched her red moist lips, eyelids, her thick eyelashes, and her well-trimmed brows. She wore a pair of silver stud earrings, which is rare because he knew his girlfriend's least accessorized part of the body are her ears! Her blonde-dyed straight hair almost curtained the sides of her face with its tips almost kissing her smooth, bare shoulders.