Chapter Thirty-One - Tolerance

"WHAT KIND OF A QUESTION IS THAT?" gusot ng mukha ni Renante.

Hindi na pinag-isipan pa ni Stacey ang sunod na sinabi.

"An important question," she seethed.

His eyebrows furrowed deeper. "You know how I feel about you all this time, and you are still questioning what I feel you?"

"Oo," manginig-nginig si Stacey sa galit kaya mahigpit niyang naikuyom ang mga kamao. "Lalo na at alam ko na wala kang balak pakasalan ako!"

Lalong magdilim ang anyo ng binata. "And where did you hear that crap?"

She blurted. "From you!"

Tila may sumampal kay Renante. Natigilan ito. Rumehistro ang gulat na tumaboy sa anino sa mukha nito.

"Wala kang made-deny sa akin. Malinaw na malinaw kong narinig iyon, Renante. I was there when you said it!"

Naihilig ni Renante ang ulo. Worry and relief mixed in his face as he tried to reach her. Stacey wasn't sure if he was about to cry. O baka nagpipigil lang itong mapasimagot. Mas una niya kasing binigyang atensyon ang kamay nitong munti na siyang maabot. Mabilis na umatras si Stacey at tinabig ang kamay nito.

"Don't touch me."

"Stace-" Renante attempted once more.

Their skins smacked as she shoved his hand away from her again.

"Sabi'ng huwag mo akong hahawakan!"

Damn. This was just like before. Before the stalker thing. Before they had their three-year of serious committed relationship. This was just like when Renante found out Sondra was already married, he got drunk in a bar with her and their toxic fuck-buddies relationship began. They would fuck a lot,but also argue a lot. And the way they were arguing right now, flooded back all those memories and feelings she had.

But this time, Renante has changed.

Noong mga panahong iyon, hindi ito nagpapatalo kahit ito pa ang nasa mali. Now, he was stepping back. Umamo ito nang parang tupa. Naging mas maingat ang kilos. But his eyes shone with determination and hopeful persuasion.Oh, Stacey knew that look. Her heart also knew Renante so well. Once he set his mind into something, he will never give it up no matter what. He doesn't let go of his goals that easy. He was giving her that look, to make a point that he would not stop trying.

"Fine. But I'll explain," matiim nitong titig sa kanyang mga mata.

Damn. She was right.

Kinabahan tuloy si Stacey.

Ano pa ba ang matinong maidadahilan ni Renante sa pagdeklara nitong hindi siya pakakasalan? He said it to his own father and brother!

Her lips quivered. "Ano pa ang ipapaliwanag mo? Na joke lang iyon? Joke?"

He took in a deep sigh. "I have to say that to protect you."

"Protect me from what?"

The answer doesn't answer the question 'what?' but 'who?'.

Pagod na itinukod ni Renante ang mga kamay sa balakang.

"Look, my mother shouldn't know anything about our relationship. I mean, our plans for the future... for our relationship... the specifics."

"Si Tita Luz? Bakit?" Napailing siya. This just didn't sound right. "Renante, this is not making any sense. Ano'ng pro-protektahan? How is 'telling your dad that you don't plan to marry me' supposed to protect me?"

His shoulders relaxed. Pero may pag-aalinlangan sa mukha nito. Na tila ba, hindi nito sigurado kung maniniwala siya sa sasabihin nito o hindi.

"You see, if my mother is well-informed about our wedding plans, she might come up with a way on how to postpone or sabotage it."