Epilogue

"SOME abuse the power to choose by making selfish choices in the expense of others. I used to be that person too, that's why I understand them. My selfisness almost made me lose a friend. But once others had a taste of going through the consequences of their selfish choices and having to make such a choice, I know, they'll understand me someday.

"I made it through unscatched, through dangers untold, and through secrets unveiled. I survived them all for love, for Renante, for me, for our families, and my happiness. And it is not just because surviving them is the only way. You see, I can always run away. I did once, but in the end, I chose to stay.

"I chose to stay because people we love have their good days and bad days. Because the people we love do not always perform their best in a relationship. That's why no matter how many challenges I have to go through, I will never be shaken. I will always stand on my ground. I will always have confidence in myself, that no matter what the results are . . . I'll make it through.

"I am sure that, like all of you, I don't always make the right choice. But ever since I've learned to stop selfish choices, I can already sleep well at night knowing that the choice I made is out of good intentions.

"There is power in running away. There is power in choosing to stay. But the true power lies in following-through the choices you've made and taking accountability on what comes out of it.

"So, choosing to marry Renante is not just the only choice I have. It is, instead, symbolic of my commitment to love him as long as we live, no matter what we go through, and to have faith in us . . . to have faith that whatever happens, we will make it through."

Stacey lifted her eyes to meet Renante's loving gaze. Memorizing the wedding vow she wrote for this very special day was hard, but so worth it. She wrote and rewrote it, making sure that she would not miss a single word to avoid misinterpretation. To let him know exactly how she feels and what she thinks in this blessed day of their holy matrimony. She wanted to memorize it so that she can keep reminding it to him at any occasion. And it was worth it, because she could see how her feelings was genuinely felt by him.

His eyes were filmed with tears, but none of them fell. It was as if they were held up in place by the upward curve of his soft smile. She had to hold her breath or she might faint at how he looked so dashing in his black suit with pinned lavender on the chest, brushed back jet-black hair, and heart-tugging handsomeness. She returned her eyes at his hand, carefully placed facing down to her palm. With a trembling hand, she carefully slipped the ring on his finger.

Then, it was his turn. Renante flipped her hand to place it gently over his palm. She felt his gentle reassuring squeeze on her hand before he lifted the wedding ring he was holding—a smaller one made of gold band and studded with one shiny diamond.

"I remember that day, when I asked you if do you want to walk the aisle with me."

Pinanlakihan niya ito ng mga mata. Tandang-tanda niya kasi iyon! At alam na alam niya kung ano ang kinahinatnan ng tanong na iyon ni Renante.

Tila nagpipigil naman ang lalaki matawa bago nagpatuloy. "You said yes, while I replied that, I cannot walk down the aisle. You looked sad but have been very calm and understanding about it. And then, I suddenly laughed and explained that I cannot walk down the aisle, because I am going to drive through it. Because you know, I am on a wheel chair."

Narinig nila ang mahinang tawanan mula sa mga dumalo sa kanilang kasal.

Pinigilan naman ni Stacey mapalo sa braso si Renante. Gusto niya kasing awatin ito sa mga corny nitong biro. Napigilan naman niya ang sarili na mapalo ito, pero hindi ang kanyang bibig. "Ang corny mo."