44

The stars in the sky resembled scattered moondust.

In the night sky, a faint crescent moon sparkled like a silvery claw.

Jungkook and Taehyung gazed up at the endless blanket of stars. The sounds of distant cars and the occasional barking of faraway dogs broke the silence of the night.

The two were still wrapped up in each other's arms, and the younger wondered why he hadn't pulled away from the embrace.

Maybe because Taehyung had finally felt safe and protected and comforted. The inner battle of his feelings had rendered him speechless. And for once he was not going to let his overwhelming emotions destroy his mental peace.

Taehyung decided to break the silence after a few long moments with a soft sigh, "Why were we being chased?"

The gleam of the moon allowed him to notice Jungkook's stare on his face.

"A lot happened since you were taken away..." Jungkook muttered, growling from low in his throat.

Taehyung frowned when the older's hand came up to wipe his teae-streaked cheek. He hadn't even realised he had been silently crying all this time.

Terror had struck him when Jungkook had gone down the cliff with the burning car. Jungkook could've been dead, but he did not want to accept that this possibility alone had his knees shaking.

"It wasn't even full twenty-four hours, Jungkook." Taehyung almost rolled his eyes. "What?" He then mumbled when the ravenette smirked.

"True, but I was locked in for almost half-a-day." Jungkook spoke

"You were in jail?" Taehyung stifled a laugh.

Jungkook had a smirk etched on his lips while he rolled his eyes. Because damn, the infamous JJK had been finally caught. For only twelve hours. But it was a victory in itself.

"That's not the point, bambi." The ravenette's playfulness was short-lived because his voice became stern quickly, almost threatening. "News travels fast in our world. My enemies tried to potentially snatch my position by assailing on my men and stealing our goods."

"You mean they wanted to get you while you were powerless?" Taehyung was disgusted by their vile behavior, the other hummed at that, watching him intently.

"Why would you risk yourself for me?" He then whispered his thoughts as he swallowed a lump in his throat, avoiding his eyes. 

"Namjoon hacked the security system of the cell and sent some of my men to help me escape." Jungkook spoke in a murmur, ignoring his other question completely. "And then he took care of the traffic."

What?

"Why traffic?" Taehyung asked lowly, his eyebrows scrunched up in confusing but when the ravenette's hazel eyes came across as treacherous, he knew the answer was going to upset him.

"So your father wouldn't be able to reach you."

Jungkook's answer had Taehyung pushing him away from himself and walking away with angry steps.

"Bambi." Jungkook called.

Taehyung whisked around, glaring at him. This was why his father couldn't reach him.

"I knew where he was all this time." He rasped quietly.

His voice was soft and careful. The first time he was trying to be compassionate. Unfortunately for him, Taehyung did not care.