Chapter Nine

Zayn

There's one month until the wedding. The four of us are supposed to go cake tasting this evening, so we'll see if I can finally meet the best man Elias that Luke talks so much about.

As reluctantly as I want to admit it, I did meet someone a couple weeks ago. We've gone out for dinner a couple times and went out for coffee just this morning. It's... Nice. It's okay. I just don't feel that spark. But I think James does. He always looks at me with his big doe eyes and is a little too clingy for my liking. I do need a date for this wedding though, so I guess it's a plus he can come with me.

I spend the day working on the suits for the guys, and the measurements that were taken of Eli... Let's just say I can tell he fills it out quite nicely.

By the time evening comes around, I step into my closet and put on my sheer black mesh shirt, black leather pants and my dark emerald green blazer. I've been waiting to wear this outfit for so long. It looks just as good as I'd imagined.

Shortly after i'm in my car and pulling up to the cake shop. We booked it out for the evening so we are the only ones there.

I get out, walking down the sidewalk as I scroll my phone. I landed on a stupid video on TikTok of this cat running face first into a wall. I don't know why but I literally burst out laughing.

That's when I hear the sound of bells jingling as I reach the door and a person rushing out of the cake store. Just when I look up to see who it is, he stumbles into me making me and my phone go flying backwards.

Our bodies colliding together in a hard smack, forcing me to the cement covered sidewalk.

"For fuck sakes, watch where you're," I started angrily.

"Oh fuck, i'm so sorry!" He said, cutting me off.

"I-I really have to go, I hope you're okay!" He responded urgently.

He was so quick to move I didn't even get a look at his face. The least he could have done would be to help me up from the ground. Maybe pay for my now broken phone? I think my ass is going to have a nice bruise on it.

I stand with a wince, walking into the cake shop to only see Arlen and Luke. That must have been that Elias guy. Luke started saying it so much I finally remember his name. Arlen's feeding Luke a piece of cake and they look so happy together. I wish I could find that happiness. Sighing and putting on a smile I knock at the door. They both look up at me with smiles.

"Hey guys." I said. "I'm assuming the giant that nearly trampled me outside the store was Elias?"

"Yeah, that would probably be him. Now this time he had a work emergency. Something that apparently needed to be dealt with now." Luke said, rolling his eyes.

"I just want you two to meet, is that seriously asking too much?" Luke said with a pout.

"Well, the weddings in a month and I know we both won't be missing that." I said.

"Yeah you damn well won't be missing it, I can't be short a best man. I love the other guys, but none of them are my best man." Arlen spoke, smiling at me.

"I'd never miss your wedding, Arlen! I've been looking forward to this for months."

At the perfect moment the worker brings out a few more pieces to sample. We spend the next hour tasting different cakes and buttercream, finally deciding upon a vanilla cake with a strawberry center and a rich vanilla buttercream. Simple yet delicious.

We say our goodbyes and I drive back to my apartment.

------

The day of the wedding. I can't believe this has finally come. I've been working so hard this last month to make the guys' suits look perfect, and they do. I couldn't be happier.

I find myself in Arlen's room, straightening out the slick black tie around his neck.

"You nervous?" I asked.

"To be completely honest, no... I've been waiting for this moment for what feels like my entire life. I couldn't be more ready to marry Luke." He smiled whistfully. Damn that was sappy.

"I'm so happy you found your person. You deserve all the happiness."

"You'll find it too, Z. You just gotta be patient. It'll find you when you least expect it. What about your date? Uh, Jim? John?"

"It's James, and I don't know I don't think it's going to go anywhere. I don't really feel that spark." I responded sadly.

"Don't lose hope, that's all I ask." Arlen finished.

"Yeah, yeah. Enough about me. I have to drop off the suits for Arlen and the guys, call me if you need me but I shouldn't be long."

"I'll be fine." He smiled.

I grab the two suits carefully bagged in my hands and walk towards the other cabins. Their wedding is out of town and it's quite beautiful out here, Luke was right. I'm glad I didn't have to make suits for everyone I don't think I'd be able to carry it through all of this muck. I'm not one for nature. It honestly surprises me that Arlen was willing to have the wedding out here, I know he's not a big nature lover either, but he'll do anything to make Luke happy.

Finally, once reaching the cabin I can hear laughter coming from inside. I juggle the suits around to free my right hand and knock on the dark brown door. The sounds die down shortly after and I hear someone shouting to get the door.

I set the suits over the railing of the attached deck and watch the scenery around me. The refreshing breeze, the way the leaves swing in the wind. The beautiful lake surrounding the cabins, it's an almost perfect moment.

The sound of the door creaking open gains my attention, I turn around slowly to face the person at the door, but what I see shocks me to my core.

It's him.

It's my mystery man.