39. Lotus Flower

August knelt at the pond in the garden, mind adrift as she traced her fingers along the soft petals of the vibrant pink lotus floating on the water's surface. She hummed, her mind a bit heavy, as thoughts disappeared on her tongue. She inhaled deeply then sighed.

"Thinking?"

August nodded, not turning to find Bucky's face. She felt his presence the minute he stepped into the garden. "How's Claude doing?"

"He fell back asleep on the couch while watching a show. I think he's still worried." Bucky replied.

She pursed her lips, "I don't like seeing him worry. It dampens him somehow."

Bucky nodded as he came to sit next to her, folding his legs. "Yeah, I don't like it either."

"Yes, I'm thinking. Theo, when school is back in session the football season will resume and then you'll have away games, right?"

"Right..." He muttered.

August nodded, "and since Claude is the photographer of the school newspaper, then he'll be joining the team too, right?"

Bucky thought about it and nodded, knowing that Claude and his other partner only get to participate because they'll be documenting the games. "Yes. Auggie, what's the root of these questions?"

"You'll both be gone for a week or more... I'll be the only one left-back," August muttered, tugging at the flower's petal, but not enough to tear it off.

Bucky caught her minute action and his jaw tensed. "Yes."

"I was talking with Sara this morning and I asked if tryouts for the cheerleading team were soon and she verified that it was..." She looked up, catching those soft brown eyes, "what if I try out? I'm pretty good on my feet and I bet I could get in."

Bucky rose a brow at that. This was not where he expected the topic to go, but it had. "Oh, I... well. If you want to, then, of course, you should. The cheerleaders get to cheer us on anywhere we go. It would be fun to have you around." She didn't say anything else as she nodded, still in thought, still unsure.

"Yeah."

"Hey August, you know you don't have to do that just for hs, right?" Bucky said, pulling her into his embrace. "Look, do it because you want to, not because it's a coping mechanism to stay close to those who you think won come back. Whether we're gone for a week or ten days, doesn't matter. What matters is that we'll be coming back to you with huge smiles, just happy to see you again." He sighed thinking of how he'd be busy soon after they get back to school, practice would resume post haste. He kissed her forehead, maybe she should try out.

"Thank you."

"I'll video you every time I get a chance." He chuckled, making her laugh too.

"Won't you be wrapped up in cute girls and drunk footballers?" August asked, making the older one chuckle.

"Hah, that would be a dream, but, I'm not that lucky. I'll probably be flustering Claude somewhere in a dark corner." She snorted at his answer and Bucky couldn't help but grin at her cute expression.

"So mean," August said as she leaned against him.

"Do you know lotuses symbolize purity?"

"Huh?" Bucky looked at her, "how could, they? Don't they grow in the mud?"

August chuckled and nodded, "yes, but lotuses rise from the mud without stains, and they return to the murky water each evening and open their blooms at the break of day. The lotus also symbolizes strength, resilience, and rebirth. So, I'll have the strength to bear with the possibility of not seeing you and Claude for a long time. And I'll keep being resilient so that when I face Brook again, it won't be a situation where I get hurt." Bucky hummed softly, making her cuddle her head against the crook of his neck.