24 ~ Funeral

Y/N POV

I tune out most of Marie's eulogy, my mind full of memories of my brother instead of the kind words she's saying about him. If I was listening, I probably would have broken down by now. My gaze is trained on the two caskets in the front of the room, flowers of every color surrounding them. I notice a bouquet of sunflowers and almost smile, then I remember why they are here.

I'm broken out of the movie reel playing in my head by a hand that slips into my own, squeezing gently. I smile down at Aiden as he stares up at his other Aunt.

"Something that my brother and Sarah loved the most, was supporting our little sister with all of her dreams, mainly music. Bradley was so proud of her, and I know that he would love for her to share her gift with us all today." Marie introduces me and I take a deep breath.

I stand slowly and I can feel my entire body shaking. I hate performing in general, but at my brother's funeral?

Before I sit at the piano, I stand at the podium. "Um, Hi. I'm Y/N and uh. Bradley and Sarah meant the world to me. Today, I get to perform in his honor, with a journal that Sarah bought for me when I was younger. I also get to share this honor with one of the seeds that they planted together, young Aiden who is probably going to be better than me someday. Maybe he already is." I prompt and Aiden comes running up to me, hugging at my leg. I smile down at him, knowing he's having a hard time.

"They will always be with us, so today isn't a goodbye. It's see you later." I remind Aiden and the people in the room. I look up and allow my eyes to wander through the crowd. My eyes landing on Harry, Hailee, and Lizzie all looking supportive. My eyes linger on her soft smile for a few seconds before continuing to scan the room. Further back I notice another familiar face, Josh. I can't believe he's here.

"Today, I will be playing To Build a Home. I hope you enjoy." I offer before leading Aiden over to the grand piano on the side. He slides onto the seat beside me and watches as one of the funeral home staff adjust a microphone for each of us to use on either side of the piano. I carefully open the journal and set in on the stand built into the instrument. I don't need the chords or lyrics, but having them here makes me feel closer to both of them.

I look over to Aiden and whisper, "You ready?" He nods so I start to play. I try to ignore the sniffs I hear from Marie, Derek, and Mia and focus on playing the song. I can't help but smile when Aiden starts to sing. His adorable voice fills the room with emotion, both joy and sorrow and I have to take a few deep breaths before starting to harmonize with him.

The memories flood back into my mind. Bradley and Sarah coming to visit with Marie and Derek. Them meeting Lizzie and the various conversations we had about her. Every holiday we spent together with our pancake tradition and singing songs together.

So many weekends spent playing in the backyard with Mia and Aiden, carrying them when they were little babies, and now from the past week. I love them so much, and I love my brother and Sarah too.

They built a whole life together, only to have it come crashing down, leaving all of their love behind.

They've disappeared and my heart feels empty.

I don't realize it until I play the last chord, but there are tears streaming down my cheeks silently. Aiden leans his had to rest on my arm as silence fills the room. Marie returns to the podium so I get up with Aiden and lead him back to our seats.

I try my hardest to get the tears to stop but they won't. They fall without permission and soon my body is shaking with emotion that won't leave me alone.

A warm hand slides into mine, her comfort spreading throughout my body at the simple touch. My shaking body slowly stills as the breath returns to my lungs and the sound of the room flows through my ears.