17 ~ Little Genius

Lizzie POV

I smile as we drive into the pick up lane at Aiden's school. He's waiting for us with his teacher and lets go of her hand to get into the car.

"Hi Aiden." Y/N greets.

"Hello, Auntie. Hello Lizard." He greets us both.

"Hi Aiden." I greet.

"No. It's alligator." He corrects me and I smile when I realize what he's talking about.

"Sorry, Hi Alligator." I amend and he giggles. When I said see you later this morning I said see you later alligator so I guess that's his nickname now.

"How was school?" Y/N asks as she pulls onto the road.

"Fun. I learned all about fractions. They are easy." He comments and I smile.

"Damn I struggled with fractions when I was your age." Y/N replies.

"Fractions make sense." Aiden decides.

"What's one half plus one fourth?" I ask.

"Three fourths." He replies without missing a beat.

"Hey Aiden?" Y/N asks after a few moments of silence.

"Yes?" He asks.

"What should I sing at your parents' funeral?" She asks and he hums in thought. It's a weird question to me, but then I remember how music is something he really loves. Maybe Y/N bringing it up so casually and making music the center of the whole event will help him understand.

"To Build A Home." He decides after thinking about it for a few minutes. I hear the small gasp from Y/N and she reaches up to wipe at her cheek a few seconds later.

I reach over and rest my hand on her knee before I think about it too much, squeezing lightly so she knows I'm here.

"Yeah...I think that would be a good song." She agrees.

"Or Goofy Goober Rock." Aiden replies and Y/N laughs, Aiden's giggles also filling the car. What a little goof. It makes me smile how easily he cheered his aunt up, a bright beautiful smile now on her face.

When we pull into the driveway, Mia is sitting on the front porch waiting. Aiden unbuckles and runs out of the car and up to his sister. "Mia, I had a good day at school!" He tells her as we follow him.

"That's amazing, bud." She replies before getting up and holding his hand. I watch as she guides him into the house and they head out back to play.

I can't help but watch out the back door as they run around, their giggles lighting up the world around them.

"They are taking this better than I thought they would." Y/N comments from her spot at the sink, rinsing off dirty dishes.

"They have amazing people making sure they are okay. You did that Y/N." I inform her gently and she sighs.

"'I'm trying." She whispers and I nod.

"I know." I assure her.

"Hey you two. How was your car ride?" Hailee greets cheerfully. Her joy seems to give Y/N a smile and her shoulders rise out of their slump. It makes me happy that she reacts to her friend so positively.

"It was good. Aiden picked the song I'm going to sing at the funeral." She shares.

"Yeah? What song?" She asks and starts to dry the dishes Y/N is washing. The sight gives me a familiar nauseous feeling. They move so naturally together and although it makes me happy that Y/N has someone like that...I'm sad that it isn't me.