Chapter 97

"When Renzo was little he used to have these little plastic Army soldiers his grandfather had given to him from when he was a young boy himself. Renzo could play with those for hours. He'd lay belly down on the carpet and set up all the little green men in strategic locations, while I could see in his concentrated eyes that he was formulating something. My little blue eyed boy. He's very smart, Katarina. Always has been. Maybe he could have been an Army general or who knows what, but that wouldn't change the fact that he has blood on his hands. War is violence

" And maybe the soldiers are admirable for risking their lives for the greater good, but the people behind the curtains of war are only there for greedy purposes we aren't always privy too. Or that we are privy too, but can do nothing about. 

"Renzo likes power because he likes control. He is good with business and strategies, and running an operation with the least amount of casualties. He doesn't want his men harmed and he doesn't want to harm other men. I know I'm rambling, but I just hope you really hear what I'm saying to you, sweet girl because I think My Renzo likes you, and I think we'd all hate to see you give up on him now."

        With that long speech Claudia had been sitting proudly on her beautiful terrace furniture with the gleam of the sun hitting the same eyes her son has. She'd been articulate and even toned. She didn't tinker with anything in front of her or look away when she spoke. 

She sat poised with one ankle crossed over the other beneath her seat. She was confident in her words and believes them wholeheartedly, I can see that. After she finished her long talk she smiled and stood up.

 "I'll leave you with that for now. I must tend to a few things, but feel free to wander more of the grounds" and that was it. She didn't let me get a word in otherwise before quietly departing. Well then. It was a lot to digest.

-

        I only toured the grounds for a short while more. I saw the gorgeously made pool that had beautiful stone around it to make up a small waterfall on the cove of one end. But after that I went inside and found myself wandering back to the east wing where my sleeping quarters were. 

Instead of going into it I walked past it. I don't really know how I knew it was Renzo's old bedroom, but I did, and I walked inside. Although there were absolutely no remnants of any settled dust or anything, this room still felt like a glimpse into a time capsule. 

To no surprise, there was a poster on the wall from the movie The Godfather in what seemed to be the middle space between two doors. A closet and bathroom if I had to guess.

Most rooms have ensuite's, and the ones that don't have a lovely bathroom at the ends of the halls. My room had an ensuite bathroom, but was smaller than Renzo's room. I wondered if this was the east wing master bedroom. In the west wing his parents occupy the master bedroom there. I hadn't gone to see it. Renzo had just mentioned it in passing when settling me into my room.

        The bed held a divot that showed it had been well lived in in the past, but the sheets were as tightly made up as a hotel's would be. The comforter and pillow covers were all navy colored. A pair of old sneakers were just barely visible under the bed, but apparently Renzo has always had pretty big feet. Doesn't surprise me. 

On the furniture piece opposite the end of his bed held a television mounted above it, but on the furniture were two pictures. 

One was of Renzo and Rocco in probably what was their teenage years. The second was of four young guys. Rocco, Renzo, Dante, and who I can only assume is Dario. They were laughing and goofing off with arms hung over each other's shoulders.