38

XXXVIII

The Prophecy

My mother and I came home late last night, skipped dinner

My mother and I came home late last night, skipped dinner. We didn't even get the chance to snack because of how tired we were. After the talk my mother gave me, we went dragon riding. The stars were so beautiful that night, and I felt so powerful that night on the back of Kígyó that I felt like I could touch them if I wanted. So I decided that I was going to do it again. Dragon riding. I was a rider after all and I was born for it, it was in my veins like it was in my ancestors before me. Jaejin was asleep by the time I went to our bed, I slept on the couch in my room with him, it felt wrong to try to sleep by his side. I didn't sleep long, the sun was barely coming up when I awoke. I was changing into warmer clothing and my fur coat. I was going to the Peak today. I looked back at Jaejin when I got to the door, mesmerized by the way he didn't have to try so hard to be handsome. I open the door and close it behind me, taking a walk down the hallway then out the back door to the stables. I whistle lowly and I hear Kígyó make a low grumble. She's probably mad that I am waking her so early and not giving her the chance to let her sleep from our ride last night. 

"Oh, Kígyó, are you complaining?" I tease her as I open her stall door. I grab her saddle, and saddle her up. I walk her out of the stables and into the plains behind the castle. I get onto her back, and get myself situated. Then I am commanding her to fly and up we get into the sky, taking me about an hour and a half. As we fly through the sky, I make sure the book I had grabbed is safely in the saddle compartment, which thankfully it is. I think my father might kill me for losing the book since  it is everything about the Kardos family, along with the fire spells I could possibly try on the Peak.

As we literally fly the time away, I am landing in the winter of the Peak. Most of the inhabitants on the mountain are asleep which I was okay with. I didn't want extra eyes watching me while I practiced with the fire that was in my blood. The Kardos book is very intimidating, but it doesn't help due to my upbringing I had more of a pusillanimous nature. I do have Kígyó lay down in the snow as I prop the book up against a rock. I open the book to some known fire spells that us Kardos pyromatics are good at. I think of heat, flames, fire, the colors of red, orange, yellow, and even black from the small smoke that will come off my flames. The flames start at my fingertips, then go up my elbows, and then the fire starts at my boots, climbing up my legs like it's desperate to meet the fire that is on my upper body. It caresses my thighs as it inches up my body, and the fire cascades to my shoulders, to my chest. It never goes above my neck, but I am okay with that, the heir can keep that tidbit.

'You are doing good, my rider.' My dragon tells me inside my brain and I look at her, smiling. She has both of her arms crossed over each other as she intently watches me. I think of that anger again, the hatred  I hold for the one and only Minjun Cha. He's brought my family pain, he's brought terror to the people of Silver Air, and brought it to the land of Red Blaze. Then I conjure the feelings of protection, that it is one of my duties as a Prince to protect the land along with the people of Red Blaze. They did nothing wrong, it was the leaders who couldn't put their pride aside or hatred aside to think of the people. Before I was a Prince, or when I didn't know that I was a Prince, I was one of those people. I wasn't going to follow Hyunshik's footsteps for General, I was going to be a part of the common population. I couldn't stand to be in that Castle, since I thought that Jaejin would never feel the same for me. Things were way different now. So I conjured that forcefield that was made out of flames and I didn't have the time to react. The heat of it doesn't seem to bother me and it's comforting at the same time. The heat reminds me of sitting in front of a fireplace at the castle in Black Soul.