11

XI
Kardos Temper

"You mean to tell me, my father could've taken me right then and there

"You mean to tell me, my father could've taken me right then and there. I apologize for the way I hurt your son." I angrily muttered to my mother and she sighed.

"Pluto, you have to understand, your father did the best he could do. Your father lost his Mate, nothing prepares you for the heartbreak that comes with it. It feels as if your soul is being shredded into two and that half of you got taken away. You think you know what love means when you grow up and have that silly first love relationship before you meet your Mate, but, nothing compares to the love you feel for your other half." My mother placed a hand on my arm and didn't turn away from my eyes from the moment she started speaking of my dad. My father reaches over and places a chaste kiss to her lips. I always knew how much love was shared between the two of them. I felt the tears in my eyes but next thing I know, all I feel is that fire building in my veins. As if they hadn't been out a week ago, that fire wants nothing more than destruction.

"I can't just sit here and not let- I'm going to light his ass on fire." I couldn't help it, I was already on my feet and running down the stairs.

"Pluto Zorán Kardos! You are NOT supposed to be out of bed!" My mother yelled after me and my father had wide blue eyes, sitting at the dining room table. My siblings were watching me with concern probably because there was fire at my fingertips. My mother was nowhere to be found.

"You fucking left me! You could've taken me home that night! You left me, again!" I yelled at my father as he got out of his chair, looking at me with concern.

"I told him about the annual celebration at your sister's palace. When we found out about Pluto's birth and what you told me."

"That was a conversation between us and us only, Zsoka!" My father snapped and I snapped at him in his face, pointing a finger at him.

"No, you're pissed that you got caught! Unlike you, my mother doesn't hide the past from me! I had every right to know! What the fuck is the Acid Fire Prophecy, god damnit!" I yelled at him and his jaw tightened as I got in his face.

"Pluto, calm down. You need to go rest-"

"Of course you would defend him! No worries, Orion, Daddy will still give you the crown no matter what. You aren't his gay son that is Mated to his enemy's son." I sarcastically tell my brother and Orion's jaw tightens just as well. Two out of three of my family members are pissed off now.

"Pluto, you are out of line-" The fire glides up my fingers, down my knuckles, my arms, up my legs, and soon, my whole body is engulfed in flames again.

"And guess what? I didn't ask for your damn opinion! Last time I checked, you aren't King yet and that is who I am talking to. Butt out." I snap at my older brother and Orion huffs. That's when my mother comes running down the stairs and watching the commotion.

"Guess what Pluto!? Dad left all three of us, not just you, Get the stick-" I didn't even think twice before my fist was flying into my older brother's jaw and my brother snapped his head at me, growling underneath his breath. He threw a punch to my gut and I coughed violently. I tried going after my brother again before Nova was sucking the air out of my flames, my flames going out instantly, and her kicking the back of my knees. Next thing I know, Nova knocks me out and the last comment I hear before I fall asleep is from my sister.

"You boys are worse than teenage girls with all this angsty drama. Take his ass up in bed, Orion, and Dad, me and you are going to talk. Now."

I wake up the next morning with a headache that makes me want to fall back asleep but I don't because my sister is sitting in the chair next to my bed.

"You know, I think Dad should've disclosed his Kardos temper with Mom before he had three kids with her." Is the first thing out of her mouth and I chuckle but it hurts to laugh. My brother got me good yesterday.

"Are we sure it's the Kardos temper? It could very well be the Kallis temper. We were sort of doomed from the start." I dryly told her and she scoffed, trying not to laugh but I could see the faint of that smile.

"When I was 6 years old, I was taken to our mountaintops to train, there was a prophecy about us three children, and when Dad got rid of us, I was to be trained as hard as a stone cold killer, and I was to not have any mercy, Princess or not," My sister opened up to me and I was in shock, I wouldn't think that Nova would be the first to open herself up to me, "Being in this Castle, within this Court, I feel out of place, when you are better and I know you can handle it, we are going to my home. You are going to train on my Mountaintop and you are going to stop playing the victim, Pluto." I open my mouth but she gives me a look that makes me shut my mouth back up, "Orion!" She yells and my older brother walks into the room. He has a nasty bruise on his jawline and I snort. "Pluto, you are going to apologize, and you are going to stop-"

"You're telling me when you found out, you weren't pissed off?" I snap back at Nova and she glares at me.

"Of course I was pissed off Pluto! But I threw a tantrum for a day, got myself together, and realized my father suffered as much as I did. He had to give away his children away-"

"Nobody had a knife to his throat." I dryly told her and she grabbed the back of my head, yanking my head back, making me look at her.

"You sound like an entitled brat and I am sick of it. He got rid of Orion, he got rid of me. If you don't think there are scars from that, we just hide it better. You need to learn to hide yours before it is used against you. Poor Pluto, being spoon fed in a Castle, having two loving adoptive parents, having a Mate who is helplessly in love with you, poor Pluto who never knew struggle till he came here. Get over yourself or I swear to the Gods I will tear your throat out myself." She tells me and she bares her fangs at me then lets go of my head. I rub the back of my head with my hand and groan.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "I feel like my own emotions don't even feel like my own anymore. I feel like the fire has its own claws and that when they sink in with just a touch of anger, they take it and they use it to their advantage, I feel-"

"Angry all the time? That the fire isn't really yours to wield and that it has a personality of its own?" My brother finally speaks up while cracking his knuckle in the other hand. He tilts his head as he speaks to me and I slowly nod, as if asking how he knew. "You have to realize, it's been 45 years since I found Dad, and during that time, we controlled my fire. It's my fire, it's not some angsty teenager in the back of my head anymore," I guess it is the year 5001, it was hard to believe that I was going to be 22 years old later this year. "You need to learn control, Pluto, and that is what Nova is going to teach you on the mountain."

"Go grab father, Pluto can make up with the both of us a bit later." Nova instructs and my brother actually listens without a complaint which was odd because that's not my brother that just pissed me off last night. My father walks in, with my brother again. My sister wastes no time getting up from the seat then snapping her fingers while pointing to the chair.

"I'm not a dog, Nova." My father arches an eyebrow and she scoffs. I already know my mother will find this conversation too painful, especially if I'm finally getting the full truth.

"I don't care," She snaps and then she narrows her eyes at me, not bothering to look at my father as she speaks again, "Tell him the truth. Now. I'm sick and tired of these half-truths. Tell Pluto the whole truth now, Father, I'm sick of this shit."