36

XXXVI

Our Missing Piece

It's been a week, this morning it's been a week without Jaejin sharing the bed with me

It's been a week, this morning it's been a week without Jaejin sharing the bed with me. My father already sent notice to Nova and the Sky High General that a Black Dragon will fly into Red Blaze soon, that they are to make sure it's Prince Jaejin, then let them come to the castle. The days go by slowly, but I walk through them with ease. I go riding a lot, and Kígyó doesn't seem to mind that at all. It comes with flying through the forests, jumping off cliff slides, and resting in the forest with the waterfall that my parents loved as a young couple. That's all I can think about, is my father and my mother. All I can think about is how my father felt for the past 15 years with his other half not at his side. I have this sinking feeling, and this nauseous inkling. It's only been a week.

"Are you just going to stare at your pastry?"

"No I uh- I am going to finish it." I tell my father and take the last few bites of my blackberry cheese danish. Early, and I mean early this morning, Zsoka and I had made homemade danishes. Cherry, lemon, and blackberries. I couldn't sleep and my mother has this second sense when someone is getting her kitchen dirty.

"You seem.. Not yourself, Pluto," My father sits in the chair across from me, "What's going on, my moon?" I give my dad a half smile and shrug  as I take the last bite of my danish.

"It's been a week," I tell him, "I haven't seen him in a week and I know I went four months without him, but-"

"It was a week you weren't expecting, Pluto."

"You weren't expecting 15 years." I blurt out and my father solemnly nods, twirling the ceremony band on his finger. He doesn't really say much after that and I don't blame him. What do you say to that? What am I supposed to tell him after I brought up one of his biggest mistakes of his life?

"We have word that Jaejin has made it to Flóga," Flóga is the first town from the peninsula of Black Soul to Red Blaze's peninsula that you fly into, "Well yesterday morning, we have news of that, by now, he should be here soon." It's Nova, she's holding her riding helmet in her arm, resting it against her leather clad hip. She's in her typical and what I like to call her overused outfit. All leather, black leather riding boots, her dual swords are attached to her back, and her black cloth hood that rests on the top of her back.

"Why didn't we get any sooner notice?" I snap at my sister and she deeply sighs, pointing at my father with her thumb.

"Tell this guy to update his damn Court. Not my fault, Sebes is old as the damn Revolution." My sister grunts and my father chuckles.

"My King, Prince Jaejin, has just landed with his dragon, Seung. I am afraid to put him in the stables with the other Reds and Silvers. Where shall I put him for now?" The man in charge of the Stables comes in, and he almost looks like he's ready to piss his pants.