23

XXIII
Of Our Bond

His eyes are blown wide, his mouth is still ajar but what I don't expect is that wide grin that comes over his lips

"You're my Mate?" He asks knowingly, because he keeps tugging on that damn tether that connects the both of us.

"I am. I hope that is okay with you." I tell him, still straddled over his lap and playing with my fingers, looking down at them. Jaejin's hand cradles under my chin and pulls it so I am looking at those brown eyes of his. His eyes are soft as they look at me, his lips pulled in a straight line.

"And why wouldn't I be okay with you being my Mate, Pluto Kardos?" He asks me and instantly, I am turned on. The way he says my right name, the name I was born with, seems to do something with me.

"Because you've only ever been with girls and you're straight-" Jaejin then cuts me off with that loud laugh of his, his smile something poets write about. He jokes as he wipes a fake tear off his eyes but shakes his head as he looks at me. I feel like he can see everything when he looks at me with those eyes of his. That Jaejin looks at me like I am the center of his universe, that if  something was going to try and hurt me right now, Jaejin could stare them down into submission just with his eyes. Jaejin's eyes have always been trouble for me to look at, because when I see his brown eyes, I don't just see brown. I see the way the sun hits his brown eyes and it's like a pool of honey that I want to submerge myself in. Nobody talks about brown eyes like they do other eye colors but dear the gods, Jaejin has the most beautiful brown eyes I think I have ever seen in my lifetime, because it's not just brown eyes to me, it's his brown eyes that suck me in.

"Straight? By the Gods, Pluto! I have kissed you how many times in this lifetime? I have been in love with you since before I knew what it was. I am anything but straight, Pluto."

"But Olivia-"

"Olivia is what made my father happy, Pluto. I think deep down she always knew that I cared about her but she could never be a male or shit, even you." He told me and then he kissed me again, he wasn't hard about it or even being gentle. It was a firm kiss, a kiss that I relished in and didn't want him to stop, if I was being completely honest. A small whine left me as he pulled away from me, and he had a smile on his face as he looked at me.

"You love me?" I ask Jaejin and he nods slowly at me.

"Of course I do, when you left, I destroyed my room and I moved into your room. I never realized how much I loved you till you left those castle doors. I never really realized how much my heart picks up when you come near me, how much home is not a place at all no, it's the person that you gave your heart to. Love has never been a question for me, I have never been confused about it because I love my parents, I love my Kingdom and its people but the love that I  have for you? That doesn't compare it. That doesn't compare the way my heart skips a beat, the way when you left it felt like I couldn't breathe properly till I saw you in the entryway. Our type of love is something that poets write about, and I could sit here, pour my heart out to you, Pluto but I won't do that. You know me, inside and out, you know me more than I know myself. I know you though, I know the way you smell, I know that you have to splash your face in stressful situations, that you think that you won't ever be enough for this type of life because I could go on and on about how worthy you are but you will never believe me or anyone else till you prove it to yourself. I see your eyes and I imagine the very waterfall that is in our forest, always running, and always wanting to drown myself in them. I look at your smile and I wonder if the sun ever looks down in disgust because it will never be as bright as you. When I say that I love you, Pluto, I don't only just love everything about you, I see you, I see all your ugly and all your beautiful; I still want you no matter what. You will always wonder how I feel about this Bond because again, I know you think that you don't deserve it but guess what? I will be praying to the gods in thanks for giving me you, forever. For giving me this beautiful bond of ours that has built since our childhood. I love you, and I see you, Pluto Kardos."

I have no words, and I don't even know where to begin. The words that pour out of his mouth are like a dream come true. Ever since I knew what love was, Jaejin was the one for me. I knew everything about him, just like he said. I knew his quirks, his likes, his dislikes. There was no hiding the fact that even if we weren't Mates, Jaejin was my other half. Our memories and growing up together had proved that fact. So I looked at him and I cradled his face in my hands, taking in his beautiful eyes, his slender nose, his almond-shaped eyes, and his dark hair. He was breathtaking and I don't think that I would ever find anyone as beautiful as I did with the male in front of me.

"I see you Jaejin Cha, and I love you. When I fell into the coma, all I could think about was you and everything that led me to fall so hard for you. When I first met you, to the party, to me losing control for the first time. You have been there for me, like no one else has. I love you, Acid Prince." I smile at him and for the first time, it feels genuine. It doesn't feel forced and it doesn't feel like I have to fake it but that's easy because Jaejin would be able to see right through it. I lean down and I give him another kiss, when I kiss him it's like our bond is a living thing and sighs in content when his lips touch mine. When he pulls away from our kiss, he touches his forehead with mine. His strong and toned arms wrap around my waist, keeping me close to him. He needs it as much as I do, maybe even more.

"Catch me up Pluto, what else do I need to know?" He asks and pulls his forehead from mine. I chuckle nervously and pull off his lap, I bring my thumb and pointer finger to my mouth, making a 'o' with the two fingers and I whistle hard. I hear the flaps of her wings first, and the growl in the air. With a whoosh of the trees, the shake of the grassy plain, and without looking back, she's on her rear legs, flapping her wings and letting out a roar of defense behind me. Kígyó has never been one to not give a dramatic entrance ever since she became claimed by me.

"Jaejin, meet Kígyó, this is my Red." I tell him and make sure to tell Kígyó of the mating bond between the male and I. She already knows though, she can smell it, but with that, she can smell the acid faintly off of him. Jaejin stands up and I think he's impressed mostly, Black dragons were small compared to the Reds. The Reds were the biggest, they could get up to 50 feet at full size. That's how big Kos was. Kígyó and Nyíl were both at the height of 28 feet, they were still young dragons. Seung, Jaejin's dragon would only get to 45 feet as full size. I make a chirping sound which makes Kígyó lay down. She holds her head up high, even if she's closer to the ground and closer to Jaejin on the ground. She knocks her big head into my shoulder which makes me smile at her.

"You know, they have pictures and ancient texts about how big and majestic they are.. but.. they don't do her race justice at all." Jaejin sounds amazed and in awe as he looks over my dragon.

'He is smart. You keep. I like this one.' Kígyó tells me and I can't help the burst of laughter that comes out of me.

"She likes you but please don't give her a big ego. She's got a big enough one for me to handle." I tease and she looks at me as if she is rolling her eyes at me. I swear she does. She looks back to Jaejin who tries to touch her but she bares her teeth at him in warning. She doesn't like to be touched other than me.

"She's beautiful, Pluto. It's hard to believe that she's yours to ride."

"Why?"

"How am I supposed to take the cute boy I love seriously on the back of a Red Dragon? You're gonna be like a murderous little teddy bear." He smirks at me and I punch him in the shoulder.

"Shut up, JJ." He only snickers at me and I give permission for Kígyó to leave but she doesn't want to. She is sunbathing in the plains, but also keeps watching us. "What do you know of the Acid Fire Prophecy?" I blurted out as we sat back down in the grassy plain. He pulls his knees up and shakes his head.

"I don't know. They are still spitting out prophecies? The last one I know of I guess is your.. your parents." He chokes out and then he stills. "Pluto.. Your mom." It's an unspoken thing we both know is fucked up, that his father took my mother. That the Gods are really just messing with us if they think his father is going to give us his blessing or that my father is going to give Jaejin a chance. My father stormed out when he found out. I couldn't imagine what Minjun Cha was going to do when he found out, Cha men were known for their tempers.

"You mean the part about how your father took my mother? Then for some reason gave her up only after 15 years? Anyway, this Acid Fire Prophecy came out a year after my sister was born and to sum it up, we are supposed to put balance into the world again by being Mates." I tell him and he frowns, grabbing my hand.

"Pluto, look at me." I look to him and it's like he doesn't know what to say, like something is holding him back.

"What, Jae?"

"Your mother? My father never let her go. That was me. I let her free."