Becoming Someone Else

"We are going to have to let you go." The administrator said the moment I sat down in a chair in his office. It had been a week since the incident, students had just come back to school, the left ward was the only part of the school destroyed.

"Why?" I answered in defense. The administrator sits up in his chair and folds his hands.

"You were able to take out an entire mob of men by yourself, now I understand you went through military training while you went through college and learned many different types of fighting techniques but you never posed a threat like you do now." He said stiffly. I bite my tongue. How could they think I was a threat? I saved those kids, not because I thought I would become a hero, but because I loved them.

"Okay." I shrug. The administrator takes a second to realize what I just said.

"Okay?" He raises an eyebrow in confusion and apparently, his eyes say, in fear.

"If you find me a threat then I don't want to hurt any of the kids. I mean I hardly had military training but if you believe I'm a threat, I won't make a big deal of it." I stand up and hold out my hand. The adminstrator gets up cautiously and takes my hand and I give a firm handshake. His hand is sweaty and plump in my hand.

"Miss Ames, thank you for the work you did." He smiles, but it's very rehearsed and fake.

"You're god damn welcome." I nod curtly and leave. The secretary, Mrs. Dobbs, doesn't look at me. I try to catch her eye but I'm sure she's seen many teachers been "let go". I walk out of the office and into the quiet hallways. Most of the kids have gone home, save for the theater and art kids. I walk to my classroom and unlock the door. The smell of fresh paper fills my nostrils as I walk in. I flip on the light and look at the classroom. I've taught here for so long, I've collected so many things that I'm not sure what to do with all of this stuff. I see boxes by my desk, someone must have dropped them off. I sigh and walk towards them. I put my things in the boxes, books, papers, maps, and all of the artifacts I bought at antique malls. I'm so caught up in packing things up that I don't hear someone walk in my room.

"That's a huge old box," a familiar male voice surprises me as I pick up a foot locker. I nearly drop it but somehow the man gets to me quick enough to catch it. I look up from the foot locker to see Barry Allen, a collegemate.

"Barry Allen, I could have had a heart attack," I smile. He smiles back up at me as we set the foot locker down. We stand awkwardly for a moment before Barry looks around.

"Packing up?" He questions rather than stating. I sigh and nod.

"Due to my superior skill of misfiring a gun into a mob full of men to protect children, they decided to "let me go"." I make finger quotes at the end.

"Oh, I heard about that, you're a hero." He says. I look at him for a second, something about the way he said it was familiar. I shake it off.

"No, I was doing my job." I continue to pack up. "So, what's up with Barry Allen? You didn't come here just to say hi, I hope." I put more books in the foot locker. Barry breathes out and puts his hand in the pockets of his jeans.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come to a party with me." He asks shaking a bit. I look up in his face and catch a glimpse of the Barry Allen I once knew.

"Mr. Allen, are you afraid of asking me out on a date?" I tease him.

"No no, it's just, the last time we saw each other, well we, broke up." He grimaces. I nod in realization and in memory.

"But, that was because I thought I was moving to Starling City for a long time, then I got a better job here. Neither of us had had a long distance relationship and we didn't want to end in hate so we ended in mutual agreement." I explain. He nods.

"Is that a yes, then?" He asks.

"Yes, it's a yes." I smile.

"Good, I'll help you with all this packing." He starts putting books in other boxes.

"If I had said no, would you still have helped me?" I tease him again.

"Probably." He shrugs and soon silence comes over us as we work.

After a couple of hours we pack my mini van with boxes and other items. Barry also takes some of my things in his own car.

"Follow me to my house, if you get lost here's my address." I hand him a slip of paper. I get into my car and wait for Barry to get into his own. Soon we are on the freeway to my house. I realize while I drive that I might have to move to something smaller. I don't have a job to support my small but nice house.

We pull up my drive way and I park in the garage. Barry parks in the driveway and gets out of the car.

"This is pretty decent," he smiles. My house is a one story little cottage looking thing. It's dark blue and has a shingled roof, the grass is longer than most but I haven't had time to cut it.

"It's what I like." I smile and he opens his car doors. We grab the boxes from his car and I direct him through my front door.

"Just set them in the living room." I say as I put my boxes in the hallway.

"How did you get so much stuff?" He asks.

"I got a lot of money and time during the summer." I smile. "Would you like to eat here? I haven't got much but it's something?" I ask.

"I'd love to." He smiles but his cellphone rings. He answers it.

"Hello.....where......are you sure?.....I'll be there soon." He says before getting off the phone.

"Work?" I ask.

"I'm afraid so, I'll take a raincheck on supper. I'll call you later for details on the party." He smiles before rushing out the door.

I sigh in my living room before moving some boxes to sit down.

I let it sink it that today was my only one of the worst days, but thanks to Barry Allen it might have been one of the best.

Barry and I had dated for a long time in college, we were nerdy and awkward but that's what we loved about each other. And today it seems we were still nerdy and awkward but Barry was different, and I was different. I had seen boot camp, he had seen murder scenes. We were almost too different...and I couldn't tell if it was a good or a bad difference.