54- "I want you to be happy more than anything else."

“You are late again madam,” Karan informed her in a no- nonsense tone as she tip- toed her way to her room, hoping he wouldn't catch on. She clicked her tongue in guilt.

“Sorry, sir.”

“I doubt your sorry holds any meaning when you've been late for like... the tenth time this month? Or twelfth.”

Pallavi exhaled a sigh. Back in Hello Services, it was easy. She could be twenty minutes late and no one batted an eye about it. Her ex manager reminded the Khuranna sisters to be on time sometimes but that was it. Obviously that kind of freedom wasn't possible everywhere. Utopian Adverts was opposite when it came to punctuality. If one punched their bio-metric after ten minutes past the designated time, their attendance would be marked as ‘half day’ and one could do nothing about it. And she was thirty minutes late.

Later on.

“Look, I've blotched your attendance stating you were on time everyday. Your salary won't be deducted. But I won't be able to help you once you get your biometric. You'll be on your own.” Karanl stated, closing the file. “Tell your maid to cook your lunch on time.”

“I will. Thank you,” She replied, heaving a sigh of relief. He was indeed a lenient manager.

* * *

Pallavi was jokingly asked about her relationship status once. She replied single as there was no point in talking about a relationship that was nearing its expire date.

“Boring people,” Karan replied in disbelief to both Pallavi and Yash. “What's the point of your youth then if you're not experiencing that? Be committed, have fun, break your heart.”

Gee thanks, Pallavi was experiencing just that.

There was another instance some days later on. You know scenarios when WhatsApp web is left open on the PC. Karan wasn't paying attention but he couldn't help if his eyes caught on the word 'baby' and a kissing emoji on Yash's WhatsApp web chat. Pallavi noticed that too, but chose to say nothing.

Yash returned to witness both of them wearing a hideous smile. “So who is this baby of yours?”

He chuckled knowing he couldn't divert it anymore. “She works as a fashion designer in Gurgaon.”

“Nice!”

“Is that why you keep going to Gurgaon from time to time?” Karan confirmed. They began talking about it while Pallavi resumed working on her PC system. Karan even mentioned something about the serious relationship he once had before marriage though obviously it didn't work out. Now when Pallavi thought about it, all the members of the social media team were committed. No one was single.

“And what about you? What do you call your boyfriend by?” He asked her out of nowhere.

“I call him baby or babe. Hate the word babu though.” She admitted blissfully. She couldn't deny it either.

“Acha, is that why you keep charging your mobile so that you can chat with him?” Karan came to another conclusion. He seemed to be critically observant of the people around him, pointing things one wouldn't bother to remember. He scoffed. “Lagta hai mere team me saare aashiq bhare hai.

“Aree!” She retorted.

* * *

“Happy birthday, jaanu. I'm sorry I couldn't get you any gift. Papa really needed the money so my salary got spent. It's a financial crisis,” Pallavi apologized as she and Adhvik met in front of the Parijat farm later on.

Adhvik who appeared in a checkered shirt and black jeans shook his head, smiling. He took her hand. “Its okay, jaan. Just you being here on this day is the biggest gift for me.”