31- "He's thinking of replacing you."

Pallavi's right eye was twitching since morning.

There was a legend surrounding it. For girls a twitch in the right eye was a bad omen while the left eye twitch meant something good. For guys it was the opposite. She didn't delve much in such superstition.

Until now.

“He's thinking of replacing you.”

Tiwari's words ringed like an fire alarm inside Pallavi's head. For a while, she stayed numb, in contrast to her mind that was spinning with several theories. If Jung- ho really had a problem with her then why wasn't he pointing out? He never mentioned anything after that day. Infact he seemed normal as he talked more about culture and festivities that happened in India. Then why was Tiwari suddenly springing this up her? It could only mean one thing.

“You might be lying, sir.” Pallavi blurted out without thinking but then continued anyway. “Or perhaps you misunderstood. Jung ho never mentioned anything to me again and it wasn't my fault that he wanted so many modifications. I was asked for another work at the same time. See these tags I—”

“You think I'm lying? When did I ever lie about anything. He wants you out!” Tiwari cut her off sternly, his bald head staring down at a helpless Pallavi. It was best not to add ghee to the fire by replying back so she remained quiet. He shook his head in resignation adding, “You'll see.”

Panic rose as Pallavi visibly exhaled, placing a hand over her wildly beating heart. She could very well shit in her pants— that's how scared she became. She swiveled her head for Adhvik. When there was no sign of him, she took her smartphone to message him, blinking rapidly as she did so. Eventually she went to meet him in the factory side.

“Baldie's lying,” Adhvik concluded after Pallavi told him what transpired ten minutes ago. They were standing outside the warehouse alone. “He wants you to think something is going on behind your back. You are afraid which is exactly what he expecting. It's possible that Jung- ho told him something about you. Tiwari is simply exaggerating it. Koi kaam nhi hai na saale ko isiliye.

“I see...”

“Hey,” Adhvik called out, after watching her distressed. He looked her in the eye. “Don't worry, alright. I know him. Nothing bad will happen to you, I assure that.”

“Okay.”

But Pallavi was not okay. Adhvik's words did assure her to an extent. Even Tulsi told her not to pay heed but that did little to calm her mind. She could barely concentrate even though she should. Not to mention her right eye that was still twitching from time to time. How could one be at peace after someone just told them that they could be replaced in their job? Where would they put her then?

Pallavi became self conscious when Jung- ho came to the office next day. She gauged him like a test subject, looking for an odd sign. There was none. He was totally normal. He even talked to her casually like he did yesterday and day before. Perhaps Adhvik was right. Tiwari was making it up.

On the job front, Pallavi was doing everything she could, to show she was working seriously. There wasn't much work to be honest. She recalled what Hyoung had said days ago about visiting the sub assembly room to learn and explore the processes there. She did exactly that.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary except with Tiwari back then. If any one of the Korean managers had a problem, they would have pointed out by now.

* * *

“By the way, I'm going back to Vietnam tomorrow,” Jung- ho announced in the evening, bringing immense relief to Pallavi and the rest who had enough of his nonsensical tasks. Maybe she indeed was thinking too much. Please go and never come back, she was praying.