Chapter 45

Sigma rule #45

Let it hurt until it can't hurt anymore. 

❀❀❀

It's been more than two weeks. Nevertheless, the poison from his body was withdrawn, and the wounds were still unhealed. For all these days, Taehyung was determined to not leave his mate's side. In the dawn, he would wake up on the sofa in Jungkook's hospital room, some days on his mate's tummy or by his leg.

Speaking to the unconscious body of his love, he would smile, gazing at his face with eyes full of tears. Taehyung would keep his ears over his chest, gathering the rhythm of his heartbeat — it was dull, timid — and oh how the sigma would think of the time Jungkook's heart would charge in with his own when they were together.

But why wouldn't it now? Taehyung was still by his side, so why wouldn't his heartbeat be like it used to be? Did he not love him anymore? Was it because he was cursed before? Pressing these thoughts aside every midnight, Taehyung shed tears, gawking at the moon discernible from the window.

Jin would carry a lunchbox for him every day. Taking a shower in the hospital's bathroom, he'd tenderly kiss his mate's forehead before taking his leave for the rest of the morning to complete his duty. In the afternoon, the sigma male would pursue his duty with his mate. Instead of ordering the nurses to do the sanitation and re-dressing of the alpha's wounds, Taehyung concluded to do it himself.

Lacing their fingers together, the fellow struggled to warm the alpha's cold frame. Once, when it rained and thundered, he encountered his mate shuddering. With no choice left, Taehyung started to scent his mate; the soothing smell of cocoa seeds made the situation mitigating. Watching Jungkook calm down under his aura, he couldn't hold back the spark in his heart of Jungkook's developing health. 

Just like any other day, Taehyung got up by Jungkook's hospitalized body. His heart clamped at the sight; without letting himself overthink the situation more than he had previously, the fellow drove his way towards the washroom to get ready for his dawn duties and appointments with patients.

After getting ready with a heavy feeling, the sigma rapidly forced his legs towards his mate — like always, leaning in to kiss his forehead. He appeared to not realize when, again, a tear slithered out of his eyes; landing right over Jungkook's closed eyes.

Only if tears would heal things and people.

The erstwhile, wiping his face with his wrists, strolled out of the room. Individuals saw at him with pity. With concern. With — With grief. Neglecting the sentiments in their eyes, and in his own mind, the guy greeted everybody a good morning with a light smile.

Masking emotions is easy.

Slipping into his armchair, Taehyung drew a sharp gasp, bracing himself for his appointments later the same day. One by one, patients appeared to inform him about their concerns, referring to themselves, their family members, and more. Driving off all of his issues, he tried his finest to help people out.

He was in amidst of an appointment when a nurse dashed in; with a radiant smile and glistening eyes, she muttered, "Mr. Kim, he is awake," Taehyung's breath hitched at her words as he immediately got up from his chair with wide and shiny eyes. But — his eyes subsequently landed on the person who was remaining in front of him. 

Taehyung promptly sat back, prescribing the medication to the client. The restless glint was evident in his orbs. And as rapidly as he was done, he rushed out of the room.

Though it was forbidden to run that in the hospital corridor like that — who would stop Kim Taehyung? And why would they even? It was the doctors and the other co-workers in the hospital who witnessed his condition all of this time. How his eyes had sunken in the wait of his mate to wake up.