Thirteen

"Glad you're amused." Kyle's grip was tight on the steering wheel, but I could tell he was fighting a smile. "This isn't how I want to meet your dad."

We were inside his truck, pulling out of the lot after we'd been let go with a warning. Truthfully, I was shaken but Kyle was upset and I didn't want him to worry about me. "He has a sense of humor."

"Yeah, sure, I enjoyed the lecture on public displays of affection." Intense blue eyes grabbed mine.

I laughed softly. "I meant my dad. He has a sense of humor."

"He's going to wonder if I'm good enough for his daughter. I'd like to not be in the back of a cop car at the time."

"I'm not sure what's up with Travis. He's usually pretty laid back. I've never seen him have such an attitude."

"He thinks I'm taking advantage of you." One brow cocked. "Or he's jealous."

I blinked, surprised. Travis had never shown the slightest interest in me. "No, he's not. Are you jealous, Kyle?" I teased.

He gripped the back of his neck. "I'm calculating the odds of your dad wanting to shoot me."

"He will love you."

Kyle glanced over. "You think so?"

I could tell my answer was important to him. "Yes, especially when he sees how much I love you."

He made a sound of disbelief. "Right. Because dads usually love the guys trying to steal their baby girls."

Reaching out I touched his arm and felt him tense. "I'll explain tonight was a misunderstanding. It was only a kiss. We didn't do anything wrong."

I expected him to agree with me, but instead he asked, "Did he like your other boyfriends?"

Glancing down at my ragged thumbnail, the one I had a bad habit of biting, I considered my response. He was waiting, genuinely curious.

My gaze lifted hesitantly to his. "You're my only boyfriend."

His expression was doubtful. "I'm serious."

"So am I. I told you I've loved you since high school." I fiddled nervously with the little ichthys around my neck. "You're looking at me like I'm a stalker."

His deep chuckle sent a shivery sensation down my spine. "That's not how I'm looking at you," he said, pulling into my apartment complex.

"No? Would you like to come inside and see the 371 pictures I have of you?" I asked playfully because humor was my go-to coping mechanism when things got sticky.

He let out deep, heartfelt laughter.

It was several moments before he spoke, and when he did he took my breath away. "I must have done something wonderful to deserve you."

"It's because I'm funny, right?"

"You make me smile, laugh, and feel good even in the worst situations." He brushed a strand of hair from my cheek. "You love the God."

It was exactly how I felt about him and I told him so. A puzzle piece clicked neatly into place. "Loving God is most important."

"Yeah, it is," he answered quietly.

"My dad met Brandon once and didn't like him."

"The guy marrying your cousin?"

"I went out with him twice."

"I'm with your dad on that one," he said, changing the stereo to a Christian station. "Was it because he wasn't a believer?"

"No. Dad never asked about his beliefs."