Twelve

Two hours later Izabelle sat on the floor beside the coffee table at my dad's house sipping hot chocolate. I told her to meet me here knowing Dad was still at work, and Jack liked the company.

"I might have overreacted," Izabelle confessed. I'd never seen her look so forlorn, and it made me sad.

She was always strong and confident and full of life. "I'm scared for Kyle," she admitted, taking a sip of her drink.

"I know."

"Darryl was abusive to both of us, but Kyle had it much worse than I did. It was like Darryl hated him."

My heart pounded. I couldn't stand thinking of Kyle and Izabelle as children being hurt by the person that should have loved them the most.

"You know how awful Darryl was, but you don't know everything that happened." Izabelle's haunted eyes met mine.

I was suddenly uneasy.

"Kyle had a strong effect on women even when he was younger. When he was fifteen, he caught the attention of our landlord's wife. She was rich and beautiful, and she looked at Kyle in a way that no woman should look at a fifteen-year-old boy."

The hairs on the back of my neck lifted, anticipating what I knew was coming.

"Kyle and I both worked, but one month we just couldn't come up with the money for rent. Darryl didn't seem to care, but Kyle and I were desperate. The Fosters had already helped us out several times, and we couldn't go to them again.

That's when Mrs. Robins made a deal with Kyle. I didn't know about it until afterward, but I should have. I wasn't paying attention, and didn't question why our rent was suddenly paid in full because I was too relieved to care. It went on for months."

Tears slid down Izabelle's face and dripped from her chin. "Kyle slept with her in exchange for rent money."

I folded my arm over my belly, feeling like someone had punched me.

"Kyle was suddenly quiet and withdrawn. Ava was worried about him too. One day I came home from school and found them together." Izabelle closed her eyes.

I felt sick.

"He actually tried to protect her saying it wasn't her fault, but he was lying. The next day I went to see Mrs. Robins. I told her I'd go to the police and have her charged with statutory rape if she ever went near my brother again."

Izabelle brushed away her tears, and I was surprised to realize I was crying along with her. "Oh, Izabelle." I put my arm around her shoulders.

"Even though he's a grown man now, he's still my baby brother." She turned her head and looked at me, willing me to understand. "I can't stand him suffering. Lucy, you don't think Kyle has some commitment issues stemming from the abuse?"

"I think you should talk to your brother."

Izabelle looked at me with uncertainty. "I know he's seeing someone else. He didn't deny it."

"The lip balm is mine," I repeated. "Really."

"You're protecting him."

I shook my head.

"You don't want me upset. I get it, but my brother's happiness depends on him getting back together with the love of his life."

Her last four words pierced my heart. "Kyle's happiness depends on—"

"Do not say it!" Izabelle cut me off. "I don't need to hear about Jesus and neither does my lil bro. He's already starting to sound as cultish as you."

I knew nothing I said now would calm her, so I stayed silent. Lord, why am I such a failure at sharing you with others?