Chapter 31

Tw - nothing (I think?)

Denki's POV

We left the police station soon afterwards. Apparently, after Aizawa blew up in the officer's face they 'had enough evidence'.

In my opinion, I think they were just too scared to continue the 'interview'.

To be fair, I would be too. I was.

As we sat in his car, all was quiet. I could hear Aizawa's finger lightly tapping on the steering wheel as he made a turn to the left.

Absentmindedly, I reached forward for the panel on the front of the car. I clicked a button and twisted a nob. Just like I thought, music came on. And a lot louder than I intended. In a panic I adjusted the nob again and the music became quiet. I looked over at my teacher driving and saw he was unfazed.

Thank goodness... I thought as I breathed a sigh of relief.

It was now deep into winter, the roads were laced with ice and the pathways were covered in snow. The sky was hazy and a dull grey seemed to take over absolutely everything. Even some peoples moods.
I never understood why people disliked winter. In my personal opinion it meant warm cups of hot chocolate, comfy hoodies and long pants. OH and cozy blankets. Let alone Christmas. The season of a fictional man named 'Santa' and flying reindeers had always been my favourite holiday. Even though many years it was spent with feelings the opposite of joy.

I often thought, you know... what's the point? there was no fancy dinner, there were definitely no presents, what could I possibly like about this time of year?

And to answer simply, I liked it because my mother liked it. And I liked it because no matter where I went outside my house, people were buzzing around. Fun and cheerful energy radiating off of them. Whenever I saw someone with headphones in, I wondered whether they were listening to some Christmas tunes.

All I want for Christmas?
Rockin' around the Christmas tree?
Last Christmas?
Santa tell me?
Jingle bell rock?
It's begging to look a lot like Christmas?
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow?
Underneath the tree?
It's the most wonderful time of the year?

No matter how stupid it sounds, I enjoyed wondering. Not only what songs random civilians were listening to, but I also enjoyed wondering how my friends Christmas' were going. What gifts they got. What they were having for breakfast and dinner, I even wondered about how many times they have smiled and laughed.

I liked fantasizing about what I was going to get for Christmas. Even though I knew it was going to be nothing. I found comfort and pleasure in dreaming about how I was going to decorate the house, and how I was going to make the most wonderful Christmas dinner. For me and... who else? 

Even though every year was exactly like the last.

There was no harm in dreaming though right? 
A lot of times if I can't have something I just dream that I have it.

It's kind of like buying a lottery ticket and fantasizing how you're going to spend the money even though most likely you're not going to win.

Except in this case, it's not just unlikely. It's close to impossible...

I didn't mind though. In the end, my mind was more concentrated on the thought of if I had enough money to pay for the water or electricity bill coming in next week. Just like last month, and the month before, and the month before that.

As we pulled into the driveway of Aiza- I mean Shota's house --I'd almost forgotten that at hom- I mean at his home I could use his first name-- my thoughts stopped.

Thinking about nothing I slipped out of the car and walked towards the front door. Shota trailing a few steps behind me.

As I opened the door I was greeted by a hug around my legs. As I looked down I saw Eri looking up at me, her face bright and eyes wide as she screamed my name.

"DENKIIIIIII!!!" she yelled, jumping for joy. I wondered what all the fuss was about so I lifted by head up as my hands reached down to rub at her back. And sure enough, Hitoshi was standing there with his hand rested on his neck. Next to him was Mic, his smile bigger than ever.

Just as I was about to speak, Mic spoke first.

"Welcome home... son-in-law" Mic smirked. My face went pale and I felt weak. I turned to look at Hitoshi only to see he was staring intensely at the floor, his face bright red before he mumbled. 

"I hope you don't mind I told them... about-" he stopped, and took a breath before he finished.

"us"

I sighed, I didn't really care that he told, I wasn't ashamed or embarrassed that I was with him. So it didn't really matter.

Shota then spoke up from behind me.

"Don't be a nuisance, now that you are dating my son, that doesn't mean you get any 'special' privileges" he said, in the same dark and grungy voice as always.

I smiled to myself before Shota made his way past me and through the door. As I turned to look at him, he was again unfazed. My jaw then dropped as I processed what he said.

It felt like my brain stopped working for a moment as I began to speak.

"Wait- WAIT, YOU KNEW?! THIS WHOLE TIME? LIKE AT THE POLICE STATION AND STUFF?" I almost yelled, Shota stopped in his tracks and turned to face me. One eyebrow raised.

"Kid..." he said.

"I've known for..." He raised his hand and started counting on his fingers.

"Around 5 months now..." My eyes only got wider.

"You're not very discrete..." He continued,

I scoffed. HE KNEW I LIKED HITOSHI BEFORE I EVEN KNEW MYSELF???

I was... flabbergasted... to say the least.

Eri then let go of my legs before speaking up herself.

"WELCOME HOME UNCLE DENKI!" My face flushed, warmth flooded through my whole body even though the front door was still open and cold air was gushing in, making the area around us freezing.
As I closed the door I walked over to Hitoshi, who was now looking at me, a small smile on his face. 

I crashed into him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. Hugging him. Tighter than ever before. He returned the gesture by snaking his arms around my waist. 
I rested my head in his shoulder, breathing in his scent. I never wanted to let go.

* * * 

1312 words

Another chapter! yay!

So, I was going to announce this in the notes at the end of the last chapter... HOWEVER, I did not. I don't know why I didn't? I just... didn't?

ANYWHO, I was planning on doing a 10K special... when I actually hit 10K reads... but, after only a day or two of getting 10K I hit 11K.

Not a big deal... right? but then, afterwards, I couldn't write any new chapters and now, here I am, releasing a new chapter at 14K reads.

I am beyond grateful, and I know I have said this before but thank you so so much. It means the world to me. A lot of your comments make me laugh, make me happy and most definitely make me feel appreciated. And I truly value every single one of them. And I mean every one of them, because I read, every single one.

Besides from that, I still want to show my gratitude somehow, however, I'm not really sure how... If anyone is actually reading this (because I know that lots of people skip over the author's notes) and you have any idea of how I can not only celebrate this number of reads, but also celebrate all the kind words I have been getting, PLEASE leave a comment here. It would be much appreciated.

OTHER THAN THAT! please enjoy the rest of your day/night! I hope everyone is doing well and that this chapter lived up to any expectations you might've had :))!!