Chapter 8

I really need to stop putting A/N's at the start and end of every chapter...

Anyways I just want to say thankq so so soooo much for 730 reads! (as I am writing this :)

And, I am sorry this chapter didn't come out sooner, I was going to upload yesterday but I recently got my Covid-19 vaccination and my arm was killing me, I hope you understand.

Other than that, please enjoy!

* * * 

TW - Mentions of abuse, sexual assault and death

Denki's POV

I was running a little late as I arrived at the shopping mall. But, I soon discovered so was Mina... and Sero... and Bakugou... And Kirishima...
I would've usually just brushed this off and waited outside the store for them to come, however, it had now been over 10 minutes and they weren't here yet.

Maybe I am at the wrong store? I first thought before backing up to look at the sign. But no, this was the store we were meant to meet at.
Maybe I am at the wrong shopping mall? Checking the group chat's previous messages debunked this theory however as I was, in fact, in the right shopping mall as well.

This is strange...
After waiting a few more minutes I decided to open Mina's contact to call her since she is usually always early, well besides Bakugou but he wouldn't pick up. 
As I pressed the call button and raised my phone up to my ear I heard it ring before it stopped. Thinking she picked up I went to speak.

"Hey Mina-"

However, I was cut off by a robot sounding voice telling me I got sent to voice mail.
That's really strange... Mina always picks up... 
Not loosing hope yet I decided to call Kirishima. However the same thing happened... I continued to do the same for Sero and even Bakugou but every single time I was sent to voice mail.

Are they ignoring me? did they forget? am I sure I am at the right store? I pondered while stepping out one more time just in case to check I was at the right store.
Nothing changed... hmmm... this is really weird...

Ever thought that they just didn't want to hang out? Maybe they stood you up, and you were foolish enough to fall for it... think about it Denki, you went to hang out with your 'friends' and they aren't even here. Damn, must suck man. 

No, no, no.. maybe they just already left to go shopping... I mean, I was already late as it is...

You were only 2 minutes late Denki. 2. It's now 3:21 might as well just leave, they obviously aren't going to show up...

The thought that my friends, my good old pals would organize plans and just not show up made me want to cry, to yell, to scream at them. But I knew I couldn't do that.
Fuck it... I even know they are better off without me anyways so why does it matter?
At least they are probably having fun...

Sighing, I sent the group chat a quick message saying that, although I was already in the shops, I wasn't feeling to well and couldn't come anymore and quickly shoved my phone in my pocket.
Putting my hands inside my hoodie I started the walk back home. Slowly strolling through the mall admiring all the happy families and vibrant shops as I pass by them.

Shinsou's POV

I was out with Mic and Eri getting her some new clothes as it was starting to get really hot during the days when my eye caught sight of some bright yellow hair that seemed overly familiar. Eyeing the person it belonged too for a bit I finally was able to recognise it was Denki. He was alone, walking slowly, almost wandering? by himself. Not only that, he was wearing some hot clothes for this scorching day. How?... just how?

Mic somehow noticed I was looking at the energetic blond a whispered in my ear, a huge smirk on his face as he did so.

"see someone you like?" My face flushed red with embarrassment to which Mic just giggled like a small child clearly amused by my reaction.
Although my crush on Denki was so pointedly obvious at this point, I still wasn't ready to face the truth myself. Frowning my blush faded as I turned around to see Eri holding up a summer dress with purple cats all over. I smiled at the sight before thinking...
I am so glad I'm rubbing off on her right now...
And with that, I completely forgot about Denki and continued to try to persuade Mic to get the dress.

Denki's POV 

As I walked getting closer to the main doors leading outside, my mind wandered to Shinsou. No matter how hard I tried to not think about anything specific and give my brain a break it seemed impossible.

Being away from the dorms, being alone right now, only made me realize how much I enjoyed Shinsou's company.
How I would blush every time I saw him. How butterflies would lightly float around inside my stomach when talking with him. How I was able to actually look forward to a following day when I knew he was going to be in it.
All of this added up to one thing, one thing Hideaki would definitely not approve of.

I was in love.
I was in love with Shinsou.

And it's not just a small crush anymore...
I don't just think he is just good looking and has a good personality...

I want to know more of him... 

Finally coming to terms with my feelings was a lot. I had to stop walking and just sit on a nearby bench for a moment just to process this. It was a lot to take in. Grasping something like that.
And of course the questions flooded my brain along with it.

Does he like me too?... what if he doesn't feel the same way?... is he even gay?
Heck! this is the first time I think I have actually had a full blown crush on a male.. 

Don't get me wrong, I've had the hots for other dudes before, but thinking about them was never this gentle and soothing. In reality, no one has ever been this nice to think about. I'm practically on cloud 9 right now.
It's a nice feeling. I crave it. I sometimes want to run away because of the little flutters my heart would make, but the thought of talking... holding... kissing... Hitoshi forced me to want to stay and enjoy every last bit of my time with him.

During training sometimes all I would do was stare at Shinsou, memorize every aspect of his face. How the light hit him, the creases on his forehead seeming to smudge as they casted a shadow. The glistening in his eyes, they way they were shaped, they story they told. His rare smile that managed to cheer me up even on my worst days.
It almost feels taxing to think about Shinsou. He's so perfect, and I'm not. He has a perfect life, and I don't. He's able to pass class easy, and I can't. He's so much better than me... why would he ever like me? no one does anyways... the class constantly tells me how dumb I am. Hideaki kicks me making sure I know how awful I am, he touches me in places that I don't want to be touched just so he can get his point across. He straight up tells me how I am not wanted. 

My own mother moved overseas with my younger siblings purely because of me.
If I had just not gotten my quirk then and there, my life could've been so different.
If I had just not accidently killed him she still would've been making us dinner with love, taking us out to places we wanted to go, reading us to sleep.
Goddamnit, why does life have to be so hard. 
She promised me.
PROMISED ME she wouldn't leave.
PROMISED ME she would come back if she did.
PROMISED ME she would always love me.

Fuck, why are promises such a finicky thing. 
This whole situation is so fucking asinine I feel like I'm drowning...

* * *

1385 words

Sorry this chapter isn't the best, I was kind of rushing...
Nonetheless I hope you enjoyed the fact we get to know more about Denki's past and what brought him into foster care in the first place..

Also yes, just in case you were wondering, yes, you did read that right.
Denki referred to Shinsou as Hitoshi without even realizing...