𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑦-𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 | 𝑠𝑡𝑢𝑝𝑖𝑑 𝑗𝑜𝑘𝑒

Start from the beginning

"I'm not grinning because I find it funny, don't worry." "Nevertheless, no." he rolled his eyes. "Well, actually it wasn't a question. I want you to come."

"And what do you want to do at almost midnight?" "I bought something earlier. We could go to the beach and sit on a bench." I now noticed the plastic bag he was holding in his right hand.

It was from Dunkin Donats. "I'm not going to eat the food you bought for yourself." "I was going to put it in the fridge anyway, I'm full, so come on." I rolled my eyes and actually let mason convince me to go to the beach with him.

---

*
I sit on the bench with my feet on it. We find it under a glowing streetlamp. My legs got pulled towards my chest. While my head lies sideways on my knees and I eat a donut.

I listen carefully as Mason tells me about his childhood. "Zeth was the shy one, I always had to convince him to do something exciting with Ares and me."

I smiled lightly.

It's nice to learn more about Mason, but also about Zeth. "What was your favorite game as a kid? What did you do?" I'm really curious. I wouldn't know a lot of things if Mason wouldn't tell me.

Like the scar, he has on his chin, which I didn't even see. Maybe from falling off a tree or something with Zeth.

"I've always loved playing with cars, the small ones you know. That's how I met Ares. Kindergarten my second day, the idiot wasn't well known as he's now. I came up to him and looked at the cars he was holding. I asked him if I could have them too. When he nodded calmly, I sat down next to him. He gave me the car and I gave him a piece of my chocolate bar. Which I stole from Zeth."

I laughed again. "Did he take something from you?" "Yes, but I told my father. I got it back quickly if he didn't eat it."

This is the first time Mason has mentioned his father verbatim. I always wanted to ask him how he really felt about him. Maybe it's the chance. But before I really think about it, my mouth moves, and the words just come out.

"How did you feel about your father." His face suddenly changed from a smile to a cold, expressionless look. I really should have thought beforehand. Apparently, the subject is still very sensitive. Shit.

"You don't have to answer, it was stupid to ask." I quickly took everything back. "It's fine. My father and I were very close. I saw him as an idol. He was very close to me." I can understand that. A little too much.

"What did he die of?" "Cancer they couldn't do more for him when we found out."

I ran my hand down my leg because goosebumps were forming. "How have you changed?" I've asked myself that many times. It's been so different since the death of my father. I've developed into a new person.

I closed myself up more and didn't even want to come out of my room. All I wanted is to crawl into my room.

I hardly ate anything, was constantly tired, and listened to music, that was my everyday life for three months.

You can call it whatever you want. Depression is normal grief, but the fact is that I've changed.

But Quinn, Dylan, and my mom got me out of this dark hole. Luckily. I don't know what would happen to me if nobody was there.

I changed anyway, I became closed off and didn't let many people in. After that, Ben broke up, and my friendship with Ashley ended.

This whole thing didn't bring me anything positive. I've closed myself even more, and my trust issue came up. Panic attack and the thought of being nothing who cares about me. Though, Dylan and Quinn's words always cheered me up.

"Panic attack, anxiety, I felt lost. My mother didn't make it any easier for me, either. She expects a lot from me, you know. Since Zeth is already perfect for her, I have to listen about him every time and how to use him as an example."

I have lost my words. I didn't know that Mason's relationship with his mother was built like this. "It was like she..."

"...is the exact opposite of your father." I finish his sentence, which just comes too close to me, I might think. "But it will stay that way. Your father was closer to you than her, she is different because she is the person who isn't your father. Believe me, I know exactly what I'm saying."

My lip trembles. I haven't been able to talk to anyone about my father without tears for a long time. But I think it's because Mason and I have something in common.

We worshiped our fathers. We love them. We had a bond with them. Which nobody could break until life came and took away what made us happy.

"I've been cold lately, but can you blame me? I try my best to make my mother proud and can't even have fun with my friends, but she of course loves her other child more and let them enjoy life without judging them."

"Maybe she is proud. She just doesn't say it."

"My mother? She's just proud of Zeth." I put my feet down and slid slightly toward Mason. I grabbed his face which was looking down and forced him to look at me.

"You're just as worth as is Zeth, spot saying, you're not good enough. Your mother just doesn't show the love she feels for you." He looks into my eyes while he just looks filled with sadness.

He not only lost his father but thinks his mother despises him. But why should she? Maybe the dead affective her just like him. "Do you know why we always go to these stupid dinners? Because she has no other time for us."

"Don't be so hard on her, and above all to yourself." I know I a sorry, or it will get better from me not helping him. He's heard that so many times in his life, for sure.

"Let's go. It's late and tomorrow we're going to that stupid museum." He laughed. "Zeth is lucky to have you as a friend."

"Wasn't it like you said we were friends too? So don't pinch, you coward." I let go of his face and stood up, finally encouraging Mason to stand up.

Just like on the way here, we also talked smiling and a bit more atmospheric. After we got to the hotel in our hallway, we walked out of the elevator to our rooms.

Mason's room is on the way to mine, which is why we walked there together. When we just walk to his room, a girl came out, half undressed.

She was wearing skimpy red underwear. Her hair was messed up. So that's why he wasn't there! He fucked one of his girls! Are you kidding me?

Why is he texting me when he already knows what he's up to? I mean, who does that shit? I'm so mad and just pissed off. The girl turns her face to me and Mason.

A dirty grin breaks Ashley's lips. Full of pride, she walks in our direction. "See, you're not that important to him." I heard her mumbling under her nose.

That's enough! I won't be fooled like that. I came to Ashley, slap her and grab her on the collar "You're really cheap, Ashley, you know that! Do you really think you matter to him? Do you think he'll call you tomorrow, asking you out? I'm at least a touch important to him or was at least an interest, then you. He doesn't care about you, which makes him forget about you tomorrow." I snapped at her.

Ashley was at a loss for words. She was calm and stayed stiff. I don't need to punch her hard with a fist like Quinn. Maybe a fist hurts you more, but words sting your heart. They destroy you from within, right where everyone can best destroy you.

I also know that I destroyed Ashley. She's pale and awkward, but I didn't even have to tell some lies. I was honest about what Ares's thoughts are about Ashley. I was important even if it was a little bit, for him, she's exploitation. A distraction.

"Would you like me to bring you?" Mason asked me softly, noticing how angry I was, but I didn't want to snap at him just because I was angry.

"No, please leave it, just go and leave me alone." I walk away. I want to sleep. I want to get out of this shit. For Ashley so she doesn't think I'm competing with her, but also for Ares, who does nothing but see me as a joke.