Chapter 42

Remember to VOTE and leave a comment on this chapter!!!

Alex's POV

Thursday 4:00 AM

I'm sitting at Nya's bedside holding her hand as she sleeps. Mom says they need her to rest so that both her and our baby can recover. Mom is hopeful but she can't confirm that the baby will survive just yet.

I hope that our baby makes it but I'm thankful that Nya is alive and that she will recover. We can try for more children, but I couldn't live if she had died.

I know though that she's going to have a hard time if the baby dies, we both will. If anyone can save my baby, it's my mom so I'm trying to be positive but it's hard.

When I took her out of the car, I was certain she died in my arms. My mind keeps replaying the moment and my body keeps reliving it, it's torture.

I've been running codes and solving mathematical problems in my head as a way of coping but every time I look at my wife the memories crash into me. I always tease her about crying too much and now I'm the one crying all the time.

"You need to pull through so that I can tell you about my shitty day," I whisper and kiss her hand.

There's a knock on the door, and then Leah walks in. She's a mess but she refuses to leave the hospital. Jubba sent her Crocs so that she could change out of her heels.

"Leah, you need to go home and get some rest," I say to her, and she shakes her head at me.

"I won't leave her here, Alex," she responds.

Shanya shifts and mumbles, "Lee," but then settles back into sleep.

Leah walks over to her and takes her other hand.

"Hey Sis, I miss you so much, I need you to fight so that you and my nephew can come home," she whispers, and I get up and exit the room to give them some privacy.

Nya will always respond to Leah, I don't understand it, but that bond runs deeper than is humanly possible.

"Unu nah go home," I ask as I walk into the waiting area and see everyone still sitting there.

"No," Omar says, and I smile.

Jess, Kim, Daryl and Kadian are also here. I think they should all go home and get some sleep, Nya won't be waking anytime soon.

"Guys thanks for the support but please go home and get some rest, come back later today," I say but I only receive blank stares.

"No," Omar states once more.

"Alex!" I hear my name being called and turn around to see Liam running towards me.

Cho bomboclaat, why would they bring him here?

He runs up to me and hugs my waist, I wrap my arms around his shoulders, and he starts crying.

I release him and stoop down to his level, using my hand to wipe his tears.

"Hey little man, she's going to be fine, stop crying," I reassure him but that doesn't help.

I look above his head to see Richard and Aunty walking up to me. They shouldn't have brought him here.

"If I let you sit with her, will you stop crying?" I ask and he nods.

"If she hears you crying, she's going to be sad and stressed and that's not good for her or the baby," I explain, and he quickly dries his tears with his hands and straightens his shoulders.

I take his hand and lead him to Nya's room. Leah is still sitting with Nya, when I open the door she turns around.

"Liam! What are you doing here?" She shouts.