16. Back Then

As if a bomb had just dropped in front of Jungkook. His ears keep on ringing after hearing Jin's confession. Slowly, his hand and fingers loosened around Jin's neck. Tears welled up in his eyes. His chest tightened, not knowing what he felt.

Jin slumped on the floor, clutching his chest as he gasped for air. Just like Jungkook, different emotions filled him in. The situation had been hunting him for years. He felt remorseful, guilty. He knew he had betrayed the man he truly loved.

"I'm sorry..." Jin cried. His fist against the floor, his head bowed down, shameful to even look at Jungkook. "Jungkook, I'm so sorry."

Jungkook looked up at the ceiling, poking the insides of his cheek with his tongue, grabbing his hair as frustrations rushed in his body. He has too many questions. He has been in the dark for so many years. He hasn't had a clue that he made Jin pregnant seven years ago.

Looking down at Jin, who is still on the floor, Jungkook kneeled—holding Jin's hands and pulling him into his arms. "I'm sorry, Jin. I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm sorry, I came late. I'm sorry I wasn't there. I'm sorry you were alone. I'm sorry."

Jin cried even louder. He buried his face in Jungkook's chest and let himself cry his heart out.

FLASHBACK
Note: This is not a detailed flashback but a highlight of the important ones. You'll find some of the clues here.

"I'm in the university cafeteria," Jungkook said on the phone as he sat down in front of his friends. "I'm fine. The first day isn't bad. Seoul isn't new as well. I grew up here. So I'm good. Besides, I told you already, my high school friends study here, so I know I won't have a hard time adjusting."

After taking some time on the phone, Jungkook ended the call to start eating his lunch.

When the Min decided to adopt Jungkook, Yoongi was about to finish his university course. After the graduation, Yoongi was assigned by his father to Busan, and Jungkook came with him and studied there until he reached his first year of college. But due to Yoongi's increased obligation after his father's death, Yoongi went back to Seoul as their main office was there.

Jungkook decided to go back to Seoul and continue his education there. He chose to enroll in a University where most of his friends were enrolled. Since it was his second year, he was an irregular student as some subjects he took from Busan were not credited.

"I think you should take the summer classes to be a regular student next sem." One of Jungkook's friends suggested.

Jungkook nodded while chewing his food, "Yes, that's my plan. I want to graduate with all of you. What are you doing?" Jungkook's attention went to one of his friends, drawing lines as if tallying something.

"I'm counting the ladies and gentlemen who have been eyeing you since you entered the campus. You haven't lost your heartthrob status. From Busan to Seoul, you still got it!"

Jungkook chuckled. He already noticed students staring, smiling, winking, waving, and trying to flirt with him. He's trying to ignore them as he is nervous about his transfer. "How come it's already in '30s?"

"I already lost count, to be honest. I wish I'm as handsome as you. So I'll get a lot of admirers too."

Jungkook couldn't laugh as a student who had just entered the cafeteria caught his attention. Sure, he had seen a lot of gorgeous men and women back home, but he was sure the beauty of this man who had just entered the cafeteria was incomparable. He had never seen beauty as ethereal as this man.

"Who is he?" Jungkook uttered, eyes still on the man who was now on the counter ordering his foods.

All of his friends looked in the direction where Jungkook was looking, and they all smiled, recognizing the man Jungkook was staring at. "That's Kim Seokjin. If you're the apple of the eye of the students in Busan, he is your Seoul counterpart. He is filthy rich, and handsome. Everyone wants him, but no one has succeeded as of yet. He is too pretty for an ordinary man like us.  Well, I don't know about you. You are hot. Maybe he would like you."