CHAPTER NINE

Shocked by his bluntness, I sprang to my feet in a defensive instinct and took a few quick steps back to my seat. The second my body sank into the soft velvet cushion, I realized what I'd done and gave him an arrested glance.

I searched his features for traces of anger but could find none. To my surprise, his expression was still filled with that same cruel amusement from moments earlier.

"You should see your face, little human," he remarked, his lips stretched into a taunting half-smile. "It's stained with such a beautiful deep shade of red. A trained slave would know what to expect, but I must admit your cluelessness has quite an unexpected appeal to it."

I said nothing, but merely flushed and wrapped my arms around myself, staring at him with palpable wariness.

"That's quite an impressive display of modesty." He sneered and inclined his head. "I can't wait to find out if you'll be this much fun when I set out on waging a war against your virtue in the confinement of my quarters."

I swallowed hard and felt my cheeks flush even deeper. His eyes scrutinized me in silence and then he merely shrugged, once again returning to his papers. I stubbornly gazed outside the window, blocking out both him and any thoughts of the upcoming torture. After a while, exhaustion took over and I fell into a deep unconscious stupor. I spent the rest of the trip in this vulnerable drowsy state until the prince's commanding voice woke me up, informing me we'd reached the palace.

My head swam and it took me a while to realize we weren't moving. His blurred form slowly sharpened as my vision adjusted to the brightness around me, and I found myself staring straight into those forbidding grey irises. His face morphed into a gloomy and mysterious mask, void of any remnants of laughter or entertainment.

"It's been interesting to watch you sleep," he muttered softly. "I hope you dreamt of something nice and peaceful. It might help you cope with the initial shock."

My heart skipped a beat. What does he mean? Don't ask...don't ask...just let it go...

"What are you going to do?" I blurted out in a hesitant, frightful voice, unable to contain myself.

"You'll find out soon enough. Just be patient for a few more hours and you'll get the answers to all your questions," he retorted with a sardonic grin and shortly glanced outside the window before returning his gaze to me. "Stay here while I take care of a few things."

I watched as he rushed out of the carriage and imperiously strode to the nearest entrance where he addressed the two vampire guards in black uniforms. They bowed to him with the utmost respect and then nodded their heads in acknowledgment of his every single request. He then disappeared behind the massive door without sparing me another glance and the two vampires strode in my direction. When they asked me to get out, I complied without hesitation, fully aware I had no choice in the matter. I remember being struck by the breathtaking magnificence of the Saybrien palace, but I'd only managed to catch a glimpse of it before the guards ushered me inside. As soon as I entered, I was overwhelmed with the impeccable luxury of the palace interior. I never dreamed such splendor was possible. Everything was covered in marble, crystal, and gold.

They led me through an endless labyrinth of passages and hallways until we finally reached a bathhouse where a group of vampire servants waited to attend to the new royal slave. Save for a few curt instructions, nobody spoke a word to me. They worked with cold, mechanical precision, doing their best to make me ready for the prince as soon as possible. The shame I felt wouldn't allow me to raise my eyes, let alone ask any questions. The entire time, I kept my mouth shut and existed in a sort of imaginary bubble, waiting for the ordeal to be over.