CHAPTER THREE

The horrifying connotations of what I'd agreed to infiltrated my system the second those two men left the house. I was slowly turning into a nervous wreck on the inside, but there was no going back. Throwing tantrums would be useless, so I forced myself to stay composed and pretend I didn't regret my reckless decision.

There was just enough time to pack my clothes and say quick goodbyes before the committee's guards came to snatch me away. Sarah and Rachel helped, quickly storing the few items of my clothes and belongings into a small suitcase. We didn't get a chance to talk or express any emotion. A sense of imminent hurry and disarray lingered in the air. If I wasn't ready when they appeared, they'd take me regardless.

Once we were done, everybody gathered in the kitchen to say their goodbyes. Jacob said he'd miss me and to take care. Rachel hugged me and uttered a silent 'thanks', swearing she'd never forget what I'd done for her.

Sarah wore a defeated, forlorn expression on her face. Unshed tears glistened in her eyes, and I could tell she held them back for my sake. Her trembling hand caressed my cheek, and she lay a soft kiss on my forehead.

"I'm so sorry, Raven" she breathed in defeat. "I'm so sorry it had to come to this."

"Don't be." I stretched my lips into a sour smile. "It will be all right. I'll be fine."

Sarah simply hugged me to herself. There was nothing left to say. Both of us knew it wouldn't be all right. In less than a year, I'd be dead and she would have to organize my funeral.

When she finally let go, it was Henry's turn. I didn't know what to expect, but I was slightly disappointed that even now he showed no feeling or even a slight concern for my wellbeing. He wouldn't cry for me as he cried for his own daughter. Instead, he was calm and collected, not bothering to hide his relief at the notion Rachel got to stay home.

"Good luck," he said in an official tone. "I know it wasn't easy, but you made the right decision. I appreciate it."

I nodded my head, unsure of what to say. A couple of moments passed in awkward silence, and then the sounds of commotion outside infiltrated the house. It meant the moment of my departure had come. My emotions were about to get the best of me, and no matter how ridiculous it sounds, I was almost grateful I got to leave before the dam burst open.

Uttering one last goodbye, I grabbed my suitcase and rushed outside, glancing at Sarah one last time. One of the guards, who was about to knock on the door, wordlessly escorted me to a large covered cart carried by six of the biggest horses I had ever seen. He helped me inside and then climbed up after me. In the blink of an eye, I found myself among a group of other unfortunate souls who shared my fate. Nobody greeted me or acknowledged my presence. Everyone had a certain blank look in their eyes. Everyone was terrified to the point of feeling numb.

The horses were set into motion, and I lowered myself on the cold wooden surface, sitting way too close to the two giant guards who protected the entrance.

Diverting my eyes from the huge bows and arrows in their laps, I looked outside and spotted Sarah, Henry, and the twins in the middle of the road. They held each other in a collective hug and gazed after the retreating wagon. As their faces faded away from my line of vision, I imprinted the image in my memory, aware I would never see them again.

When I diverted my eyes, the boy sitting opposite me caught my attention. He kept stealing glances at the guards while longingly staring into the endless road behind us. His hands were squeezed into tight fists at his side; his nostrils flaring as he took a series of long deep breaths like he was mentally preparing himself for something. It wouldn't take long for me to find out what he had in mind.