Chapter 41

Kaylie arrived at work the next morning feeling better than the past few days except for the nagging feeling in her chest since Alex told her he had spoken to Mr. Reed. She walked out of the elevator and onto her floor, she made her way past the lines of cubicles and didn't notice the looks her colleagues were sending her way because she was texting Alex.

When she reached her cubicle, she stopped in her tracks.
"What the?"

"Hey." Will, her neighbour said.

"Hey Will, do you know why my desk is empty?" She looked at him. "Where are my things?"

"Hmm, Mr. Reed said to see him once you were in."

"What?" Kaylie's eyes went a tad bit wide. "Is something wrong?"

Will shrugged.
"I don't know."

"Alright." She sighed and made her way back into the elevator.

Her thoughts went berserk with every possibility. She was getting fired being on top of it all. She stepped out of the elevator and walked down the hall reaching Carly's desk.

"Hi Carly." She greeted.

Carly looked up and smiled.
"It's about time, Mr. Reed asked to see you."

"Asked?"

"Yes Kaylie, asked."

"That's good, right?"

Carly was holding back her laugh as she shrugged.
"I don't know. Just go in and hear what he has to say then decide."

Kaylie sighed.
"That's very helpful."

Carly laughed then and beeped Mr. Reed.
"Sir, Ms. Patterson is here."

"Send her in." Came his reply.

Kaylie walked to his door and swallowed before she pushed his door open and stepped inside.
"Good morning sir." She greeted as she shut the door behind her and walked further inside.

Richard looked up from the papers on his desk at her.
"Have a seat Ms. Patterson, will you?"

"Thank you." She said as she took a seat.

She looked at him when she was seated and a moment passed as her just studied her not saying anything and Kaylie felt her pulse increase.

"Ms. Patterson..." He began.

"Please don't fire me." "I owe you an apology." Kaylie and Richard said at the same time.

"What?" Kaylie looked at him surprised.

"I owe you an apology." He said again. "Ground Upp was your creation and I should have believed you when you said it was. My conclusions were biased, as you may know Mr. Young is a relative. I was wrong and I know that now."

"Mr. Reed, I...don't know what to say." Kaylie said. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet." He said. "I've asked Mr. Young to step down from the HOD's position so you may take over."

Kaylie almost chocked on her saliva.
"What?"

Richard smiled.
"You've earned it." He rose from his seat and extended his hand.

Kaylie was on her feet and shaking his hand.
"Congratulations."

"Thank you so much Mr. Reed."

"Do me and RevTech proud."

"I will." She turned around and walked out of his office with a huge grin on her face.

"Congratulations." Carly said as she reached her desk.