c.26

Chapter 26: Injured

The next morning was as strange as the previous day.

Taehyung was quiet and distracted by something, and every time their eyes met, he got visibly flustered for some reason.

As they drove in silence toward the training center, Hoseok briefly considered pressing the issue, but the headache pounding at his temples made it hard to focus. The lack of sleep last night was making itself known.

"Are you okay?" Taehyung said when they arrived and Hoseok parked the car.

"Yeah," Hoseok said, rubbing his forehead. "Just a bit of a headache. You have to go, or you'll be late for the training session."

Taehyung leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, just an inch away from his lips. "Feel better," he said softly and kissed the corner of his mouth before freezing, his green eyes wide and bewildered.

Flushing, he scrambled out of the car and jogged toward the training facility.

Hoseok touched his mouth, watching Taehyung disappear into the building.

****************

The rest of the morning was busy for Hoseok. They were still understaffed, and there didn't seem to be an end to injuries. He didn't want to criticize the doctor, but it was becoming increasingly obvious the injury prevention work had been poor while he'd been away.

Heaving a sigh, Hoseok rubbed at his temples when the door finally closed after yet another injured player.

"Headache, Dr. Jung?" a soft voice said.

Hoseok looked up. He'd completely forgotten about the intern's presence in the room. Dark-brown eyes were looking at him sympathetically.

"Just a headache, Joon," he replied.

Smiling, Namjoon walked over. "Let me help. I've been told I give great massages."

"Go ahead," Hoseok said, figuring it wouldn't hurt. The guy was a soon-to-be physiotherapist, after all.

He closed his eyes as Namjoon's fingers started touching his face: first applying pressure on his eyebrows, then stroking his scalp gently before starting to massage under the back of his skull. Hoseok made an appreciative noise as his headache receded a little.

"Better?" Namjoon murmured into his ear, closer than Hoseok had expected.

"What are you doing?"

Hoseok's eyelids flew open.

Taehyung was standing in the doorway, looking at them.

"Dr. Jung asked me to give him a massage," Namjoon replied. "For his headache."

"You can go," Taehyung said. "I'll handle it." 

"But—"

"Get out," Taehyung said pleasantly.

When Namjoon didn't move, Taehyung fixed him with a hard look. "Do you have a problem with your hearing?"

"Joon, you may go," Hoseok said slowly, eyeing Taehyung

But before Namjoon could leave, the phone went off and he answered.

"You're requested by Dr. Kim immediately, Dr. Jung," he said when he hung up. "Another player is injured."

Suppressing a sigh, Hoseok got to his feet and strode out of the room. "Who is it now?"

"Jungkook," Taehyung replied before Namjoon could, falling into step with him as they made their way to Dr. Kim's office—Hoseok'ss old office.

"What happened?" Hoseok asked.

"Got injured during the training session," Taehyung said, his arm brushing Hoseok's. "Looks like a groin injury. A nasty one."

Hoseok shook his head. "Didn't he have a groin strain a few months ago while I wasn't here?"

"Yep, he did," Taehyung said, touching his wrist. "Twice, actually."

Hoseok grimaced. Groin injuries could be very tricky and linger if not treated correctly, and getting a third groin injury in the span of half a year wasn't a good sign at all.

Reaching his old office, he pushed the door open and entered, Taehyung and Namjoon behind him. Hoseok looked back at Taehyung. "What are you doing here?"

Taehyung glanced at Namjoon. "I'm the injured guy's brother," he said, lifting his chin.

Hoseok narrowed his eyes but said nothing. It was neither the time nor the place. Instead, he strode toward the adjoined examination room.

 Jungkook was lying on the examination table, and Dr. Kim stood next to him, her arms folded over her chest.

"What's the problem, Jen?" Hoseok said.

Dr. Kim turned to him, chewing on her lips. "Jungkook wants an accelerated rehabilitation program. I don't think it's wise. He has a grade three groin injury, not to mention that it's a re-injury, which complicates things. It will be very hard to—"

"You're an excellent doctor, Dr. Kim," Jungkook said. "I trust in your abilities. I'm sure if anyone is capable of doing that, it's you."

Behind him, Taehyung snorted and said, only for Hoseok's ears, "Can't believe people actually buy that."

"Well," Kim said, her expression softening. "I might be able to, but—"

Jungkook gave her a breathtaking smile. "Great! I knew you could do it. You know how important it is for me to be in form by the time the NT coach chooses the squad for the World Cup. I need to be cleared by April to recover from and impress him—"

"No one is getting cleared yet," Hoseok cut in, walking closer to the table and examining Jungkook's exposed leg. Ice had been applied, but the swelling on the inner thigh was still very noticeable. "Partial or complete rupture?" he murmured.