C.9

Chapter 6: Lies We Tell Others

"He looks like a little monkey," Taehyung said, eyeing the baby

"He looks like a little monkey," Taehyung said, eyeing the baby. It looked red and ugly, nothing at all like the cute babies he'd seen on the TV.

Jiwoo smiled, even though she still looked exhausted. "All newborns look like little monkeys." She lifted the baby to him. "Come on, take him."

He hesitated, looking at the baby uneasily. It seemed so fragile. "I'll drop him. Or hurt him."

"Don't be silly, you won't. Come on."

Tentatively, Taehyung took the baby from her. Fuck, it was tiny. It weighed nothing. No, not it: he. His son.

"Hey," he said, clearing his throat. "Hey, baby."

The boy opened his eyes blearily and Taehyung stopped breathing. His eyes were deep Blue. "He has blue eyes."

"Most newborns have blue eyes. The color will likely change. Neither of us has blue eyes."

Taehyung stroked the dark hair on the baby's head. He hoped the color wouldn't change.

"Taehyung needs rest," Taehyung's doctor cut in. "Give your son to me, Mr. Kim."

Taehyung did as he was told.

Taehyung smiled at him tiredly and stretched her hand out. He took it and squeezed.

The look she gave him was probing. "Are you happy?"

Taehyung smiled. "Of course I am." He cast a look at the doctor. "Get some sleep. You must be exhausted." He leaned down to kiss her briefly, smiled again and left the room.

As soon as he was outside, his smile faded.

God, it was exhausting. He wasn't a natural liar like Jungkook—that little prick could look someone in the eye and deliver complete, utter bullshit with a straight face. He had no idea how Jungkook could do it. For Taehyung, it was mentally draining to put on a happy face and be cheerful and shit all the time. If it wasn't for Jiwoo, he wouldn't have bothered, but she worried too much and he hadn't wanted to upset a pregnant woman. She didn't need to know how messed up in the head he was. How utterly pathetic he was. It had been months, for fuck's sake. He wasn't supposed to still feel like curling up into a ball, closing his eyes and hoping it was all just a bad dream and Hoseok wasn't out of his life forever.

Forever.

His throat closed up and Taehyung started walking faster. He wanted fresh air. He hated hospitals. Hated that every tall, dark-haired man in a white coat made his breath hitch. It was fucking stupid. Hoseok rarely wore white coats; he favored scrubs. But maybe Hoseok wore them now. It wasn't like he would know.

Setting his jaw, Taehyung pushed the front door open and stepped outside.

It was raining, a cold miserable November rain, but the rain didn't seem to faze the reporters who had been lying in wait for him.

Grimacing, Taehyung strode toward his car. He batted microphones out of his face as he walked, trying his best to ignore questions being shouted from every direction.

"Kim Taehyung, what is the name of your son?"

"Kim Taehyung, what do you think of your brother's brilliant debut for the English National Team?"

"Kim Taehyung, what do you think of Chelsea's chances to win the league after the draw against Manchester United?"

"Kim Taehyung, are you going to marry your girlfriend?"

"Kim Taehyung, does it still bother you that your brother got your position on the left wing?"

"Kim Taehyung, do you—"

He got into his car, shut the door in the reporter's face and locked it with shaking fingers. Undeterred, the reporters kept banging on the window and yelling something.

 Taehyung Taehyung Taehyung Tae-.

Feeling breathless, Tae tugged at his collar, but his shirt was collarless. He wasn't choking; it was all in his head.

He slumped back in the seat, watching the rain beat against the windshield and trying to pretend the gaping emptiness in his chest didn't exist.

Wasn't it supposed to be better by now?

Maybe next month, Taehyung told himself—the same thing he'd said the previous month.