c.5

CHAPTER 5 : CHILDISH

It was almost time. The stadium was already filling up with thousands of spectators, and with the crowd already starting to cheer, he had trouble staying calm. This wasn't a friendly match. This was the first official match of the season. This was the Barclays Premier League, the best football league in the world, and he was going to start on the left wing, instead of Taehyung. Finally.

As they headed into the tunnel, Jungkook glanced at his adoptive brother. It sucked that he had to keep up appearances and couldn't smirk at Taehyung's predicament. He wanted to grin and gloat, but of course, he couldn't: there were cameras everywhere. Appearances were important. He was the good guy and Taehyung was the bad guy—or at least that was the public opinion. Good guys didn't gloat.

Some would probably consider what he had done cruel, but Jungkook didn't care. As far as he was concerned, it was nothing Taehyung didn't deserve. That little shit had always rubbed him the wrong way. From the very first moment his adoptive parents brought Taehyung into the family, Jungkook had disliked him immensely.

 He hadn't asked for a brother. He didn't want a brother. But of course, no one had cared about what he thought. The Kims were too enamored with the tiny strange-looking boy to care about their first son's opinion. And that was what Jungkook had been: he was the first. His parents were his first, and he didn't want to share his toys with that scrawny midget who didn't even speak English or French.

 He disliked Taehyung at first sight and the dislike was very much mutual, and, as it turned out, long-lasting. It'd been almost fifteen years, their adoptive parents were long dead, but the dislike between them had only grown with each passing year. Now that they competed for more important things than toys, Jungkook's desire to wipe the floor with Taehyung was stronger than ever.

That was why he couldn't help feeling a little disappointed now. He had expected it would be harder to steal Taehyung's favorite position on the pitch, but everything had gone surprisingly smoothly. It had been too easy. He had thought Taehyung would be more of a challenge, but that little shit hadn't even put up much of a fight. Taehyung's strange outbursts of temper the past couple of months had actually made it too easy for him. 

In the light of Taehyung's behavior, convincing the media and the coach that he deserved to play in Taehyung's favorite position was child's play. Disgustingly easy.

"I hope you aren't angry with me, Tae," Jungkook said, unable to resist the opportunity to rub it in.

Taehyung didn't say anything, so Jungkook shot him another look. The idiot looked like shit. He was even paler than normal, and the dark rings under his eyes made him look years older. And those strange green eyes...there was something unnerving in them."Hey, you okay?" Jungkook asked, nudging him with his hand. Taehyung didn't reply.

"Tae?"

"Fantastic," Taehyung said without looking at him. "Never been better."

"But you look—"

"Save your fake concern," Taehyung said flatly. "I'm not in the mood for your bullshit."That was another annoying thing. Instead of being upset by the fact that Jungkook had gotten his favorite position, it seemed Taehyung just didn't care. Although Taehyung had been looking like shit the past couple of weeks, Jungkook knew it wasn't because of him.

"It's time to go, boys," the coach said, and they walked out of the tunnel onto the pitch. Jungkook kept an eye on Taehyung's tense face. When he noticed something shift in Tae's expression, Jungkook followed his gaze to the medical team seated in the technical area. His eyes lingered on Dr. Jung. As always, Jungkook couldn't help but stare.

Jung Hoseok had to be the best-looking man he'd ever seen. Dark hair, deep but beautiful brown eyes,  God had really taken his time. As though having a gorgeous face wasn't enough, the guy was tall and had amazingly broad shoulders and strong arms. It was mind-boggling that such a handsome man was single.

 The rumor had it he was gay, but it was probably bullshit. Partly to annoy Taehyung, who always acted like Dr. Jung was his property, and partly because Hoseok was attractive as hell, Jungkook had tried to flirt with the guy, but to no avail. Such a pity. And it was such a pity the guy was quitting the job. The physicals were going to be much more boring now. The whistle was finally blown, indicating the start of the match, and Jungkook pushed Dr. Jung out of his mind and lost himself in the game.

The first twenty minutes were fine. Jungkook was doing great: most of the attacks were going through him, and if it weren't for some rotten luck, he would have scored at least two goals already.

But suddenly, Taehyung was pushing him aside and intercepting a pass meant for him.

"What the fuck?" Jungkook yelled. "You're supposed to play on the right wing tonight!"

Taehyung gave him a venomous glare. "Get lost. This is mine. Mine!"

Jungkook turned to the coach and pointed at Taehyung. "Do something!"

Frowning, the coach started shouting at Taehyung to return to the right wing. Ignoring him, Taehyung ran at the defenders and into the box, causing confusion and chaos. He dribbled around the goalkeeper and blasted the ball into the far top corner.

Taehyung lifted his hands to show his unhappiness and suppressed a smile when the fans started chanting his name. Of course they were on his side; he was the wronged party here.

That was when the booing started. Every time Taehyung touched the ball, the crowd booed and jeered. Taehyung ignored it and ran recklessly at the defenders again.

Jungkook felt a reluctant pang of admiration. Taehyung truly didn't give a shit about what people thought of him. The booing would have unsettled anyone, but nothing seemed to touch Taehyung. Nothing seemed to reach him, his pale face devoid of any expression.

Taehyung drove forward, instantly taking out two players before they'd even realized what had happened, fouled a third, and scored another solo goal. The fouled defender immediately got into Taehyung's face, yelling at him, and Taehyung shoved him away roughly. The referee ran over and showed Taehyung a red card.

Somewhat bewildered, Jungkook watched Taehyung stalk off the pitch to an accompaniment of booing from the crowd. What was wrong with the little idiot? Taehyung was nuts. He would be torn apart for this by the press, the coach, and the fans.

Scowling, Jungkook decided to focus on the match. Thanks to that idiot they were a man down, and now he would have to defend. He hated defending. Stupid Tae.