c. 10

|(A/N )Not proofread |

CHAPTER 10 : CHANGES

One month later

One month later..

Jungkook would be the first to admit he had no problem bending the truth a little to get what he wanted. Most people would call what he did dishonesty; Jungkook called it being smart. Besides, it had one major advantage: since he was good at pretending to be what he wasn't, he could easily recognize when other people tried to do the same thing.

Jungkook leaned against the locker, watching Taehyung take his sweat-soaked shirt off. He continued ignoring Jungkook, although the bland smile he'd been sporting earlier during the training session was nowhere to be seen.

Cocking his head, Jungkook studied him. "How is the baby by the way '' 

Taehyung's hands stilled for a moment before he turned his back to him and changed into a fresh shirt.

Jungkook pursed his lips. Taehyung used to be more fun. These days it seemed he just didn't give a fuck about anything. It annoyed Jungkook, and it annoyed him that it annoyed him. It was normally amusing when his so-called brother was having a shitty day, but Taehyung's continued disinterest in everything was downright boring. It sucked all the fun out of it.

"So are you going to make an honest woman out of Jiwoo?" Jungkook said.

Taehyung didn't rise to the bait. "Just say what you're here for and piss off."

"Just wanted to tell you I saw an interesting article in the Daily Mail yesterday," Jungkook said, watching Taehyung like a hawk. "It was about an American footballer.."

No reaction. Jungkook smiled. Huh, Tae really didn't know. That made it even better.

"I'd never heard of him before," he continued. "But then again, who cares about American players? But anyway, the bloke got outed when he was photographed smooching a well-known sports doctor. Guess who?"

Taehyung's shoulders stiffened. Finally. A reaction. But it was a very predictable reaction, considering Taehyung's weird thing for Jung Hoseok.

Jungkook made a face at the thought. Before his paralysis, Taehyung used to be more like him, but after his return from the rehabilitation center, he was practically a different person. Jungkook couldn't believe how clingy Taehyung had become around Hoseok. Taehyung was insanely possessive of the guy and didn't want to share Sheldon's attention with anyone.

If Jungkook didn't know better, he would think Taehyung had a thing for Hoseok or something, but he did know better. Unlike him, Taehyung was as straight as it got, so his attachment to the guy was beyond weird.

"He was all over Hoseok," Jungkook said. "They seem very happy together."

Taehyung remained still, his back to him. Jungkook couldn't see Taehyung's face, but he didn't need to. "I'm so glad for him," Jungkook said casually. "Hoseok deserves a break after babysitting you for years and having no personal life to speak of."

Turning around, Taehyung slipped into his jacket. "Why don't you just sod off and leave me alone?" he said, buttoning it up. His face was blank, but his fingers were unsteady, jerky.

"Sorry, did I hit a nerve?" Jungkook said with a sweet smile.

Taehyung glowered. "Get lost."

"Hey, just saying." Jungkook lifted his hands in a placating manner. "I didn't mean to...upset you."

"I'm not upset."

"You don't need to put on a brave face," Jungkook said, donning his sincerest expression. "We're family, after all."

The glare he received was positively murderous.

Jungkook dropped his mask and met Taehyung's eyes. "Seriously, get a grip. You're boring me. It's no fun to kick someone who's already down. You're no challenge these days."

"I have no idea what you mean."

Jungkook let out a laugh. "You've been behaving like a kicked puppy for months. A puppy without its owner. That's just sad and pathetic."

A muscle pulsed in Taehyung's cheek.

Jungkook sneered. "Your weird clingy thing for Hoseok was pretty pathetic in itself, but this—the useless moping—is a new low for you. If you really want him back so much, what's the problem? Get him back."

"He doesn't want to come back," Taehyung grated out.

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. "So? If I want something, I'll walk over anyone to get it, instead of moping and doing nothing. You used to be the same way—"

"Used to be," Taehyung bit off. "Not anymore."

Jungkook cocked his head. "Really? You can fool everyone else, but you and I? We know the truth. We're cut from the same cloth. Deep down, you're the same greedy, self-centered shit you were as a kid. Don't tell me it's never crossed your mind: to do the wrong thing, the selfish thing, and fuck everyone else."

Taehyung's Adam's apple moved.

"It has," Jungkook said softly. "You can pretend to be the good guy all you want. But you're not the good guy. You're no better than me." He chuckled. "But you know the difference between you and me? Sometimes I might tell a little white lie to get what I want, but at least I'm honest with myself. I know what I am, and I'm cool with it. I'm an asshole and I'm awesome." He held Taehyung's gaze. "And I definitely don't need the white picket fence to feel better about myself."

Taehyung's face paled. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

Smiling, Jungkook left, pleased that he'd had the last word.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ty for the comments they really encourage me to keep writing making this story worthwhile. 

Also, should I do a character Q&A?