c. 18

America greeted him with rain, but Hoseok found himself smiling. He never thought he would miss the miserable English weather.

The meeting with Chelsea's directors didn't take long: he'd worked for the club for several years, so they knew him well and trusted him to pick up where he had left off. Hoseok hadn't really thought he'd be able to get his old job back, but it turned out the doctor who had replaced him wanted to move to a German top club after the end of the season, and Hoseok agreed to wait until the position became available again. In the meantime, he was going to be responsible for the club's rehabilitation center.

When the meeting was over, Hoseok found his feet carrying him to the training grounds. He hadn't expected that the meeting would take place at the Cobham Training Center, but now that he was there, Hoseok couldn't resist the temptation to seek Jungkook out. It had been almost a month.

The rain had stopped, and the air was clean and heavy with moisture. Hoseok breathed it in as he walked slowly toward the group of footballers training on the pitch.

A part of him still couldn't believe he had really done this—that he was really going back to his old life in America. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but he was tired. Tired of fighting this. Tired of running away. There was no goddamn point.

Hoseok's heart started beating faster when he saw the familiar dark-blond curls. Taehyung was dribbling past two defenders, lightning-quick and agile. Hoseok had almost forgotten how good he was.

As though feeling his gaze, Taehyung turned his head. He came to a halt, his eyes widening and lips parting. A beautiful box smile stretched across his face that Hoseok couldn't help but mirror.

And then Taehyung was running toward him, his blue training kit clinging to his skin. Hoseok tried not to stare, but it was difficult. Taehyung might be a little slim, but like most footballers, he was very fit without being buff. Fuck it, for Hoseok he was perfect from head to toe.

Hoseok barely kept himself upright when Taehyung collided into him. "You're back," he breathed into Hoseok's neck, hugging him tightly. "You're back."

Acutely aware of the coach and other footballers watching them curiously, Hoseok let himself nuzzle Taehyung's hair for a moment—just a moment—before pulling back and shoving his hands into the pockets of his jacket. The simple action was far harder than it should have been.

"Yes," he said belatedly, his eyes on Taehyung's beaming face.

Taehyung stepped closer again. Hoseok clenched his hands in his pockets and gave him a look of warning. Stay a few feet away from me.

Taehyung frowned and glanced at his teammates before returning his gaze to Hoseok. "When did you get here? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Hoseok!" Another footballer jogged toward them Jungkook. "You're back! I mean—are you back?"

Hoseok smiled at him and shook his hand. He didn't share Taehyung's opinion that Jungkook was the devil reincarnated; Taehyung wasn't exactly an angel himself.

"Yes," he said. "For the time being, I'll be the senior doctor at the rehabilitation center. I'll replace Dr. Kim when she moves  in the summer."

"Great!" Jungkook touched Hoseok's arm, smiling. "You've been missed very much, Doctor."

"Kim, Jeon—both of you come back this instant!" the coach yelled.

"Yes, go back to training," Taehyung said, glowering at his brother.

Jungkook ignored him, his gaze still on Hoseok. "I'm really glad you're back, Hoseok," he said, stroking Hoseok's arm and giving him puppy-dog eyes that somehow managed to be seductive.