Chapter 23

Leon has pent the night with the young Italian guy and had a great time, they went to a love motel since Giovanni hasn't been to one before and that sort of place was completely new to him. As Giovanni offered to pay for the accommodation, Leon booked a quite expensive one. Leon in return invited him to have breakfast at an exclusive cafe in one of the most expensive area of Buenos Aires.

Leon liked the young man's style, he had that sweet and almost cute appearance that could easily deceive anyone, but Leon realized from the beginning, the Italian guy was a double-edged sword, could easily manipulate everyone to his own entertainment.

He had a sweet smile that reflected one thing and a stare that contradicted it. What an ambiguous but amusing person. Sex was good but nothing special, this guy was too controlling in many aspects, and it was even hard for Leon to distinguish if he just put a show in bed or he truly enjoyed the night. Leon asked himself, if he has been always like this or if circumstances pushed him to be alert every single moment.

After breakfast they went for a walk through the woods of Palermo, one of the most famous neighborhoods in the city. The day was a bit cloudy but the weather was pleasant. The cell phone rang at that moment.

It was a familiar voice.

"Sweet Leo!"

Agustín was on the phone.

"What is up, Agus?"

"I'm calling about something very important, in case you don't know next Friday is Numa's birthday, 18 years old."

That surprised him. Numa didn't tell him anything.

"don't know if I should go, Agus"

He heard a snort from the other side

"Don't even think about missing it because I'll kill you. I'm organizing a surprise party and I don't want you to make any plans, we'll do it in a very small pub a friend of mine owns near the center. One person will be in charge of taking him there, we will have dancing, piñata, games...everything! I want it to be the best birthday ever, that will be my present!"

Leon laughed at his enthusiasm.

"Ok, if I can help with anything, just let me know, ok? Do I have to bring anything?"

"Just your presence and some condoms, as you are going to drink a lot maybe I can take advantage of the moment"

Agus laughed, although his voice yet a little husky. Probable he hasn't recovered from the flu.

"I'll have to take care of myself then...." he added, amused.

Agus told him he would call him later in the night to discuss the details. Leon hung up still lost in his thoughts.

"A party?" was the whispering and almost honeyed tone of the Italian in his ear.

Leon looked back at him and nodded.

What kind of gift should he choose. He smiled at the suddenly thought of Numa's smile.

#

Friday night, Numa was yet at home, he already prepared everything for his birthday, he called everyone he wanted to be there. In the afternoon he went with Agustín to buy food, his friend seemed to still have a little bit let of the cold but he did not say anything because Agustin's change of mood were not a joke, last time he asked Agus got quite annoyed.

He did not see Lucas during the whole week and he shortly met Leon on the day he had to sign the rental contract. Numa messaged him asking if he would need his company, Leon quickly replied almost begging for it.

They went together, afterwards Leon invited him for a drink and Numa refused him outright, he wanted nothing more than a friendship he was aware of how things escalated with Leon and what could happen after a simple drink. Leon did not take well his response and told him he didn't need friends and he would rather not see him ever again.

Numa wasn't surprised by his words but the tone was quite aggressive and it hurt him.

It was almost certain he was not going to attend his birthday party. On the other hand, he wondered if Lucas would come, most probably he wouldn't to show up either.

Grandma appeared through the living room door, and saw him sitting there, with the TV on and his head tilted sideways on the back of the sofa with his eyes lost.

"Numa, honey, turn off that thing if you're not watching it."

The young guy startled, grabbed the remote and turned it off.

Grandma reached over to touch his head.

"I'm 18 years old!"

"Yes, you are sweetheart"

A slight sadness overshadowed his gaze.

"What's wrong? Are you sad?"

"No, Grandma... I'm just thinking."

"About what?" asked the woman, noticeably intrigued.

"Dad...and mom, as well."

The grandmother let her hand fall on the young man's shoulder, it was unbelievable that he was already 18 years old.

"If they could see you, they would be proud to have a son like you."

"Thank you grandmother...but I doubt it" it was not the dream of any parent to have a homosexual son and less with the history of fights and problems that the boy carried on his shoulders, he has not been the perfect son.

Numa suddenly sat up.

"Grandma don't worry please, after all these years I've come to terms with it. Really"

Eleonora watched him walk away towards the bedroom, it was obvious that he missed his parents, she shook her head in disgust, but there was no solution.

Numa finished dressing, he was invited to a pub, to have a couple of beers with some friends who could not come over on Saturday, they arranged to meet in the area of the cinemas around midnight.

Eleonora gave him a hug and the usual recommendations for going out so late.