Chapter 9

"Alright, class," man said harshly after he blew his whistle. We called him Sergeant because of his voice, but in all honesty he didn't use that voice on us because he hated us. He used to be in the army- was in it for two wars- and now that type of voice just comes to him like breathing does. We don't take offense to it, but sometimes it takes us by surprise.

Like, for instance, right now.

I jumped from where I was casually leaning against the wall, away from my friends and others like those guys back at the house told me to be, on high alert and waiting for something interesting to happen.

"Listen up! You people, from what I've heard, are going through some type of test in each class today!" he barked, making my eyes widen slightly.

Test?

What test?

We have a test?

"I was going to have you weaklings run a mile today, but I decided that instead we'd play a game- since tests will already make your lives miserable and my life enjoyable," he said in a humorous way, making a couple people chuckle.

Wait, does that mean I have a math test? Godda-

"Queen bee, everyone! Kyle! Put the dodge-balls down the center of the gym!" he said before blowing his whistle, making the class automatically split apart into two groups and went to the separate sides of the gym.

"Um... What's queen bee?" a shy voice asked me faintly, making me turn towards a little freshman girl that looked almost the height I was in seventh grade.

"Queen bee is basically like dodgeball," I said to her, surprisingly not being bothered or hungry by her being around me. I pointed towards the dodge-balls that were neatly lined up, splitting the gym in half. "When the whistle sounds you run and grab a ball, then you go back to home base- the wall I'm on-, and after that you just play dodgeball. If you're hit you're out, if you catch it the person who threw it's out, etc. The only difference is, if the person who got you out gets out then you can come back in.

"And there's a person called the queen bee. If the queen bee gets out then your team automatically looses," I added, almost forgetting the most important thing.

"Oh..." She murmured, looking around the room with nervous glances.

"Don't worry," I chuckled. "If they chose you to be queen bee it's okay. The teams don't know who the other team's queen is, so-"

"Oh, no, I'm not the queen," she said quickly, but still looking very relieved by what I told her. "That's actually why I came here. Some guy from a group over there," she started as she threw her arm behind her "told me to tell you that you're the queen bee."

Oh, well how perfect.

I'm the queen.

Which means I'll be completely surrounded by people trying to "protect me".

Which means people will be by me.

Son of a-

The sharp sound of a whistle blowing echoed slightly in the enormous gymnasium, a million people's footsteps pounding on the wood floor to get to the ball not even seconds later.

"Find the queen!" guys were barking from both sides as if they were soldiers ordering someone to stand up and go to war.

What's with me and war references today?

"Eeeek!" I heard, piercing my ear like a banshee's screech. I winced and looked over to my right to see who it was.

The girl from seconds ago was still there, right next to me, her eyes shut tightly like she was preparing for a bullet to enter her brai-