Chapter 15

Skylar's POV

It's weird when you think back to when you first met someone and you had no idea that they would become such an important person in your life. It doesn't have to be love at first sight. It can be someone you don't even pay attention to or you may not be attracted to them at all. But over time you're starting to realise how much you care about them. This person who was once nothing to you is now everythink you need and care about. This person makes you happy and it feels like you're not alone anymore.

I was laying on my bed with Ace's strong arms wrapped around my small frame, my hand tracing lines on his bare chest. He looked so peaceful and calm. His breathing was steady and I think I could see a little smile on his face as if he was dreaming about something nice. While he was asleep, I could take a look at his tattoos. There were so many of them but one caught my attention in particular. It was in Italian, I guess, and was tattooed on the left side of his chest where his heart is. I brushed my finger over it, wondering what it meant.

"It's not nice to stare at someone while they're sleeping." Suddenly, Ace spoked up and oh God, his morning voice. I flinched a bit.

"Sorry." I said, blushing a little.

"That's all right, princess." He said and pulled me closer to his chest. "I like feeling your touch on my skin."

He smiled down at me warmly, and it felt like I was melting in his embrace.

"How did you sleep?" I asked, placing my head on his shoulder.

He blinked a few times to adjust to the bright light. His dark brown hair was messy, every strand in a different direction.

"Surprisingly well. I haven't slept that well for a while actually. Your bed is really comfy."

I chuckled, placing my hand on his torso and then my chin on it.

"I'm glad then."

We were just lying like that in comfortable silence. But obviously I had to brake it by asking "What does this tattoo mean?"

I pointed at that tattoo over his heart which I was admiring earlier. He looked down at it and then at me.

"Tale il padre, tale il figlio." He finally said and I think that hearing him speaking in italian made me shiver. "It means: like father, like son. I got this after my father's death." He lifted up his head and looked ahead of him before continuing "I really miss him, you know? I wish he could say that he is proud of me or that I run our companies well. But he will never have a chance to do it."

I could sense the pain in his voice. I wish I could help him but there's nothing I can do. He just has to learn how to live with that. With the pain. With knowing that he will never get to see his dad again.

"I'm sure that if he was here, he would say that he is proud of you and he loves you. I'm really sorry that it happened to you but our most painful struggles can grant us the most necessary growth-"

His eyes were on me now, focused on what I was saying to him.

"- what seems like a curse in the moment, can actually be a blessing. When you feel like it's the end of the world, it can be just the beginning of something wonderful. We can't just lose our hope and keep moving forward."

Ace didn't say a word for a few seconds. He was just gazing at me with those appealing brown eyes of his which I fell in love with the first time I saw him. Something twinkled in them.

He put his hand on my cheek and pulled our faces closer that our foreheads were pressed together.

"I've never met someone like you, Skylar. You're always full of positive thoughts and great advice. You always try to make someone feel better and forget about their problems but when someone is telling you all of this, you don't believe them. You have to understand how important you are to many people and how happy you make them just by being with them. "