Chapter 38: Deceiver

"Marinette transformed in front of Hawkmoth, Mayura, and... me," Adrien said, replaying what happened over in his mind.

"Well? What happened to her? Is she ok?" Luka asked, turning to him.

"She's fine... if you want to call it that." Adrien sighed standing up, looking away from Luka.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

He couldn't tell him that she lost all of her memories. Luka was still... ugh... he didn't want Luka to have a reason to steal her away from him. Without all of the memories of Adrien, what was stopping Marinette from being with him again?

"She lost her memories of being Ladybug. She forgot Chat noir." He explained, turning to look at Luka with a saddened expression.

He hoped that was enough for him. He hoped he didn't ask anything else. He didn't like lying... but for Marinette... his princess... he would do it. He might want to explain a few things though... at least why Marinette lost her memories...

"Hawkmoth was threatening her family... She gave up being the guardian. Which is why she lost her memories. " Adrien sighed.

"How much does she remember?" Luka asked, with a frown.

Adrien frowned, knowing that Luka put Marinette above all else.

"She remembers a lot from high school and basic things. I think it's mainly being Ladybug and Chat noir that she forgot." Adrien said.

"You said she gave up being the guardian... does that mean you're the new guardian?" Luka asked.

What should he say? He was in too deep. He couldn't get out of this now! He was also a terrible liar!

"Luka... please don't make me answer that question." Adrien pleaded.

Luka looked at him surprised. Luka wrapped his arm around his shoulder and smiled.

"Calm down Agreste. It's ok. I just want to be there for you. I wouldn't do anything to hurt Chat noir and cause Paris to fall to the hands of Hawkmoth. They are our heroes... well... I guess you're our hero." Luka laughed.

"Thanks..." Adrien smiled.

"Ok well... So... Can I come over to see Marinette?" Luka asked.

"Huh? Why?" Adrien asked.

"I wanna make sure she remembers me." Luka smiled.

"Uh... I don't... we should let her rest." Adrien said, unwrapping Luka's arm from his shoulder.

"Adrien, come on. I'll be there sometime after work. I'll text you. It's pretty late though." Luka said, waving him goodbye.

Adrien watched as Luka walked away, his face trying to keep his composure. As Luka was no longer in sight, Adrien sat down on the park bench with an exhale of defeat. Plagg floated out with Tikki and they exchanged worried looks.

"Come on Adrien. You need your rest." Tikki smiled.

"Yeah kid, come on. Marinette is asleep in your bed waiting for you. We will figure this out tomorrow." Plagg said as he tried to comfort his friend the best he could.

Adrien looked up at both the Kwamis and smiled. He reached out and hugged them both then took a deep breath. He gave a piece of cheese to Plagg and then transformed, rushing back to his bedroom.

Marinette moved in the bedsheets and felt a crinkled object beside her. She struggled to open her eyes in the dim-lit room. She reached for her phone and turned on the flashlight. There was a note. She rubbed her eyes and looked at it, the note read: