Chapter 12: An old acquaintance

It wasn't exactly the job he was thinking she would have but he wasn't complaining. It did take some convincing though but after a sit down with his father he did get her a job as an entry designer. He felt bad that his father only let her be an entry designer, though it was only part-time on the weekends since she still had homework and classes to uphold just like he did, he assumed she wasn't going to complain... especially since she didn't have to have an interview or submit a portfolio.

He pulled up to the design studio and opened the door for her. They walked in together and immediately Marinette could feel the pressure of eyes on her. She swallowed and looked over to Adrien, stepping closer toward him to ease her nerves.

"Follow me, Miss Dupain Cheng." Adrien smiled, leading her to his office. "We will fill out your paperwork and find you a studio room to work in."

"A-alright!" she said, blushing.

Marinette followed him into his office and he shut the door behind her. Marinette took a seat in front of his desk and sat there in silence, obviously nervous. Adrien wanted to laugh but decided to restrain himself and walked over to his desk and sat down at his computer.

"Marinette, you don't have to be nervous. It's still me, you know." Adrien laughed.

"I-I know that, but... I can't help it." She said.

"Here you go, Mr. Agreste." A girl with blonde hair said, opening the door with paperwork in her hands.

"Chloe?" Marinette said, turning her head.

"Dupain cheng?" Chloe said, turning to look at Marinette who was sitting in the chair.

"Thank you, Chloe. Yes, Marinette will be joining our team starting today. Would you like to give her a tour after I get her in the system?" Adrien smiled, standing up to meet Chloe.

Chloe looked at Marinette almost in disbelief and sighed, handing Adrien the paperwork.

Marinette and Chloe graduated high school on decent terms, to say the least but weren't... friends. They were more competitive than anything... which wasn't a bad thing.

Chloe nodded to Adrien's request and shut the door behind her, leaving Marinette and Adrien to finish up in his office. It seemed that Chloe had really grown up and matured, at least... a little. The old Chloe wouldn't have left Adrien's side... especially with Marinette being around him.

Adrien put the paperwork on his desk and sat back down at his computer. He started typing and Marinette sat again in silence, nervously waiting.

"So... Chloe works here?" Marinette asked, trying to start up a conversation.

"Yeah, she's been working here for... maybe 3 months?" Adrien said, still typing on his computer.

"Do I know anyone else that works here?" Marinette smiled.

"Hmm..." Adrien stopped typing and sat back in his chair and thought for a second.

"Oh! Kagami, you remember her, don't you?" Adrien smiled.

"Y-yeah, I do. Isn't that... a little awkward?" Marinette asked.

"Well... she tends to keep things on a professional level. She's always been that way. After the break up a few years back and then we both started working together, it was awkward at first... but we learned to work with one another." Adrien smiled.

"Oh... well I'm glad you're working around it and maybe starting to be friends again." Marinette smiled.

"Friends... sure. Maybe we will again one day." He laughed, and Marinette could see he was hiding the hurt in his laughter.

Marinette went quiet, which struck him as odd.

Would Marinette be the same as Kagami? Would she not like him as Adrien if she knew he was Chat noir? Would she reject him? He never really saw any flirtation or indication of her liking him.

What was he thinking? They have been dating for a long time now, he knew her since high school. She wasn't that kind of person.

Focus Adrien. Right now was not the time to think about relationships at work.

"Alright, you're in the system. Here's your ID and Chloe will show you around the building. She will also show you to your work studio. She will be your mentor for the first week. If you have any questions just let me know." He smiled.

"Uh... alright. Thank you again, Adrien, I really appreciate it." Marinette smiled.

"Don't worry Marinette. I'm really glad you're staying." He blushed and darted his eyes toward the computer to try and hide his reddening cheeks.

Marinette smiled nervously... glad you're staying... he said that as if it was already decided. She has yet to talk to her parents, though, getting a job was only the first step. The next step was the hardest part...